• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is this PSU connector for? (P6 AUX?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fuzzywuzzy

Registered
plug2.jpg

What is that connect on the left for? (The one with 4 pins)

I currently have a no name 300W power supply in my full tower case. It's from the Asus P2B, P3-450Mhz era...

Alot of the latest mobos require this?? I'm looking at purchasing an AMD XP 2100+ processor, and looking at the MSI KT400 series mobos, and they all require it :(

If I buy a mobo that has this connector, do I also need to purchase a PSU to plug into that socket???

What happens if I purchase a mobo that has this connector, but I use my current PSU (that doesn't have the plug)... Are the converter plus that convert a 4 pin Molex to this?

That 4 pin connector is needed for P4s. It's an added 12v that Intel says makes the CPU and rest of the system components more stable. Most power supplies come with them today since they are normally Intel/AMD approved. Your motherboard will have this even if it isn't for Intel chips. I have an Abit KD7-RAID with the KT400 chipset. It's an AMD board but it comes with a place to attach that connector.

From what I've heard, XPs run off 5v power or something like that while the Pentiums have gone to 12v. Supposedly though it was talked about/believed that the XPs run off or can be run off the 12v. I really have no clue about it just was reading a post about something similiar a few weeks back.

I asked this question before but never got a response. Would it perhaps help in anyway to use that 4pin plug also with my Athlon? Or would it be damaging to use it?

What is the one on the right? I have one of those and nothing to hook it to. Got the other one as well, so thanks for the info.

My TH7-II uses both of those connectors, plus the normal ATX power connector, but all the other P-4 mobos I've built do not use the right connector, just the ATX power and the square 4 wire one.

Those connector are for supplying extra power to the board.
The square 4pin connector is mainly for P4 boards (never seen an AMD board that uses it).

The 6 pin connector is also used on P4 boards when it requires and extra source.
Ive found it just depends on what board you have as to weather or not you will need it (my P4 board has the 4pin type while a m8s has the 6pin type) some even need both (ill try and dig out an addy for you).
if you board has a corisponding connector use it if not you cant *hehehe because it doesnt need it

Yes Xeon boards do need those connectors cos they suck so much power but they usually use a special 24pin ATX connector too not the usual 20pin ATX you will have seen on you PSU

i believe on the amd boards you can use the 12volt line to stabilize the 3.3 and 5.5 on the board if your board supports it. my abits got it and i use it. not sure if it helps but i surely dont think it hurts.

If your motherboard has a 12V auxiliary (typically the one on the left, only a very few boards use the one on the right), it means a few things:

1) The power supply on the motherboard that supplies the CPU's power is being fed with 12V.

2) You ought connect it if you want the machine to work-in rare cases boards with an 12V AUX connector will work without it, but it neither likely nor advisable.

3) If you have a no-name power supply from the P2 era, you ought replace it with a modern supply anyway.

As most know, I recommend only the Fortron/Sparkle 350 and 400W units or the Antec True Power 380 and up. The Sparkle 350 is available with a 120mm from from XP Direct for 45 bucks, and is the best value in supplies. It will give you rock solid stability, tremendous output, and a 12V AUX output at the same time. Smart insurance that is well worth the minimal investment.

Last edited:
My chaintech 7kdd (dual amd) actually uses both of those plugs. The square one is a 12V auxiliary mainly to provide better stability. I'm not sure if the 6 pin is 12v, 5v, 3.3v...or whatever but again it just provides more power for power hungry boards like dual amd's, P4's, xeon and such.

I'm also running a Chaintech 7KDD dual AMD board.

The square "P4" plug is indeed for additional 12V. It' specified in the ATX 2.03 spec.

The other one was in the ATX 2.02 spec., and provides extra 3 and 5 volts. (My old Fortron-Source 350 had it.)

For a good, cheep power supply I'm really happy with my Robanton PWS-600, 600W Power Supply.
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3446743

It's only $70.00 at Outpost.com, and is very quiet. It only has one fan, and it's at the rear instead of the bottom, but I have plenty of case ventalation.

Also see the review at LostCircuits:
http://www.lostcircuits.com/advice/robanton/

When they talk about protection from a hot short, they are NOT kidding.
I managed to do the same thing myself (with a WD800 HD!).
Bright blue spark, and an instant-off of the entire system!
Two MP CPU's, two sticks of registerd DDR, a Sony DRU-500A, a CD-RW, two more HD's, a dual mobo, AND IT"S SMOKE - or so I thought.

I remembered that review, prayed for the first time in years, shut the PS off by its rocker switch, waited a couple of minutes - then power-on ... AND EVERY THING WORKED!!!

EVEN THE HARD DRIVEW I HAD SHORTED!!! :eek:

From now on I use ONLY these PS's.
You may test or gamble with others if you wish.
Not me.
Not again.

Back