• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sparkle 400W Pots?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pouey

My new sparkle 400W shows terrible readings. The 3.3V is always from 3.4-3.5V, the 5V is from 4.82-4.89, and the 12 drops all the way to 11.55 all at full load. Is there a way for me to turn up the voltage through the POTS or something? Or are these just very wrong readings?

If those readings are done with a multimeter you can trust them, otherwise you can't. If your computer is stable I wouldn't worry about it but you can adjust the pot by turning it clockwise, like maybe 1/32" will probably be enough. On my Sparkle 350 the one pot adjusted both the 5v and 12v rail. MBM gives me significantly different readings than is right and you can buy an inexpensive multimeter for 15 bucks. Also your voltage under load should hardly move more than a few hundreths of a volt, at least mine doesn't.

mbm/bios shows my 5v rail @ like 4.89. i wasnt' so happy with that, so i tested with my multimeter, it barely budges from 5.12 ever. loaded it goes maybe 5.10. if i'd adjusted the pot for 5v/3v i would have fried something undoubtedly, i'd bet you don't need to touch a thing. unless you're having stability problems that seem related to psu, in which case you need to test @ a molex connector or @ the mobo connector with a multimeter to be sure. don't touch the pots unless you're sure you need to.

Excellent advice, heed it. Current FSP/Sparkle production seems to be calibrated a touch high on the 3.3 and 5V (3.5 and 5.1V in most cases) and spot on 12 on the 12V line. The sensors on motherboards are junk, as are the readings derived from their output (which includes the bios reading and all MBM type nonsense).

I must admit my sparkle 400 pf was
a little low (4.9 on a conn. and 4.79 on
my tyan 2460 duallie board)
There is a pot (I re-sealed it after tweaking
it to 5.1 and 4.89)
Be very careful - the difference was 3 to 5 degrees.

so should we conpensate for the high calibration by turning it down?

again, you should NOT mess with the pots unless you have psu related stability problems, mobo sensors are NOT to be trusted. if you check with a multimeter and the rails are to far off for comfort, then you could adjust them very carefully. there's no need to turn them down. they should not be high enough to damage anything.

Back