• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does the -12v and -5V do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Durin

I have ridiculous low (high?) -12V and -5V rails. -12V at -8.74V
and -5V at -3.08V according to MBM. But my system is rock stable, With the exeption that a GF3 I just got back from a RMA doesn't post anymore. But my GF4 Ti4200 is running fine.

Could the PSU be the answer to my problem with the GF3???

Heres a link to my post about my GF3

The negative voltages keep the high explosives in the computer's self-destruct mechanism dormant.

I've measured really wierd negative voltages, too, and I think they're caused by the lack of load on the -12V, which I think also feeds the -5V regulator.

The negative voltages keep the high explosives in the computer's self-destruct mechanism dormant.

So it's Ok to run it as long, but when the red LED on the mobo starts flashing and a countdown is starting, I'd better start running right? :)

How long is the safe distance? Do I have to run out of my apartment?

You see, we have invested in these lead safes, inside which we keep our computers.

That way, if the thing explodes (As they all invariably do at some stage durning their eventful lives) we are left with some carbon on the inside of our lead safe, rather than an entire town left smoking.

We take pictures of the computers with an internally mounted USB camera, shielded from damage (thats why many of the pictures are so blurry - past explosions have scratched the lens)

Seriously, though, I'm not entirely sure as to the role of the -5 and -12 lines... Sorry - a pointless post :D (no doubt it will make a few of you smile)

*EDIT*

Just noticed my Avaitar for the first time in weeks!

Kinda ironic that it's next to a post about self destructing computers :D

They are an obsolete spec' left over from the ISA bus I beleive, the ISA bus needed them to function. who has an ISA slot on their mobo nowadays?...

PS. I've nevr seen an on~spec -5&-12volt output ;) ...

OK, so then I don't need to worry about that.
Only question now, is why GF3 keeps F****** up on my system

You see, we have invested in these lead safes, inside which we keep our computers.
Lol, and i thought the hype was about aluminium cases!!!

i remember a day...a day that rings clearly in my mind's eye...i gleefully attached my new antec 430...my computer looked at it and said "wha'cha installin thare!" i responded..."it's called a power supply" "power supply...eih?...looks like a panzy power supply to me!" and it blew up in a few bright white archs and putrid fumes...ever since that day...i've wondered...what is a good power supply?!? one with negative voltages, apparently, lol -j/k

-if my post sounds familiar, it is based on the lines from a newgrounds.com video, "old fart tales"

MBM shows both the -5 and -12 at zero.

This will be my last post as I am about to git blowed up real good......

Back