• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help, setup pararell PSUs pls

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krairach

Registered
I got 2 Eermax 365AX-VE-FMA. +12V=26A, +5V=32A, and +3.3V=32A. One for my PC, the other for a 226W Peltier.
The problem is the one for PC has a lot of spare amp at +12V while the other has a lot of spare amp at +5 and +3.3V.

I want to run them in pararell (as if they were one unit) in order to achieve higher amp rating at every volt to seve both PC and Peltier.

I read on a sticky on how to run AT PSU in pararell. But I am not sure if it could be applied to ATX PSU as well.

I know how to turn on an ATX PSU (Green to Black), if that's the only main concern between ATX and AT PSU.

I also read in other thread where it is recommended to put a diode to isolate the 2 PSUs.

The qustions are:

- Can I just join the wire from 2 PSU together (ie. PSU1 yellow to PSU2 yellow)?

- In the sticky, he does not say anything about diode, is it really necessary or optional?

- To run in pararell config, do I need to isolate one PSU from Ground (as instructed by running AT PSU in serie/pararell sticky)?

Thank you.

Yea you do need to isolate the gorund on the PSU, atleast one. and all you have to do is join the wires you want. or you could just run the mobo off one PSU and the drives and acc. off the other but it sounds like your already doing that and want to run them in paralell right? then just connect the wires you want (yellow to yellow and red to red, never connect a red (5v) to a yellow (12v) directly) and you should be set. though i'd test it out of your computer frist to make sure you didn't miss something.

the only thing you need to change (i've read all the articles) is insted of useing resistors to power them up you just short the green and a black wire.~RCTG

yep isolate the grd on one 1 psu. your also gonna have to diode isolate the psu's to keep the voltages from backfeeding and burning up.

Back