• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anything over 152FSB and it freezes.(amd 1800+ tbred A)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i tried changing the FSB in the BIOS and it didnt do n e better there either. Well for the CPU Voltage it is at stock (1800+ Tbred A's are 1.5V) havent lowered MULTI. im not even sure if the 1/5 divisor is kicking in when i go to 166 FSB, how can i make sure it does?

What are your temps like? If it is good, then up the voltage. It could very well be the answer to your problem.

msi boards have the 1/5 muti kicked in from 152fsb, u HAVE to raise ur vcore to get higher speeds.

ssgohan434 said:
my temps are 36 C full load (after 4 hrs of Prime 95)

Yodums what should i up the voltage to?

Hc000- doesnt the 1/5 divisor kick in all mobos at 166 tho?

no, some mobo don't support 1/5

If the 1/5 divider kicks in at 152, you may want to try booting at a FSB speed of 160-166 MHz. Some cards do not like to run at low PCI bus speeds (152/5 = 30.4 MHz).

I would try to boot at 160-166 FSB, and just keep increasing the voltage until it boots. Once it boots, immediately go into the BIOS and check your CPU temps for a couple of minutes. If the temps look ok (less than 45C at idle), then go ahead and reboot into Windows.

If you do not change the multiplier, it might take up to 1.7 volts to boot into Windows. I don't know if this is a common thing, but it took a big step in voltage to get my CPU up to 166 MHz (and the 1/5 divider).

Try increasing your core voltage by .5v increments until it's stable.
Just be careful and watch your temps.

RIRGA is far from being a good stepping and that might be the reason for your chip acting up, if you don't want to mod the chip to have a stock of 1.7 volts then your only other choice is lower the multi and up the FSB, I don't see anything else that you could do, its clearly the CPU which is failing you

The one RIRGA 1800+ Tbred in the database is running 1920 MHz with 1.85 volts.

To get even close to 2 GHz, you need to either change the default CPU voltage (via either connecting the bridges or connecting the socket pins), or get a different motherboard (one that will allow you to increase the voltage higher). Otherwise, you have probably gotten as much out of that CPU as you can.

one of my 1800's wouldnt post over 138 FSB...
after unlocking it, raising the voltage, and getting some better cooling, i was able to bring it up to 155FSB (stable) using SetFSB

POST is Power On Self Test. it means that the PC boots and just tests the RAM and the other stuff, what we mean by post is boot, if PC doesn't POST mean it doesn't boot, or we have a failed overclock

crackling sound means your sound card can't take the FSB, as you have nice RAM just drop the multi to 10.5 and up the FSB to 166. If you can't get the raw MHz, at least get as high as you can on the FSB, it may not be what you want but it is far better than nothing. Also running lower multi doesn't hurt the performance really, running lower FSB is what hurts performance, so drop that multi and start upping the FSB

Back