• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drive Copying Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

Ok I am planning on adding a 60gb drive to accompany my 40gb which is almost full. My question is can I copy everything on my current HDD except for Windows to my new HDD?

I want to do a clean install of Windows since its been awhile but I dont want to lose all my mp3's movies etc.

btw: What do you call the cables that let you hook 2 drives to your primary ide connector?

a standard IDE cable will allow you to connect 2 HDD to one IDE channel, not sure what you mean otherwise.

Just install the new HDD, format it(make sure it's the same file format), then when you open up the OS you will see it there(in My Computer), then just move or copy and paste.

ronin1967 said:
a standard IDE cable will allow you to connect 2 HDD to one IDE channel, not sure what you mean otherwise.

I am talking about a cable with a connector at one end, one in the middle and then the one at the other end to connect to the mobo. Because my secondary IDE connector already has a cd-rw and dvd drive on it (using one of these cables).

that's a standard IDE cable, looks like this
cable.jpg

just to do the transfer you could just unplug one the optical drives...

Back