• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair XMS difference - help wich to choose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erikss0n

Registered
I was browsing http://www.komplett.se to look for memory for my coming order of an Thouroughbred and an ASUS A7N8X and found that they had 2 different modules with the same price.

My question is which one is to prefer?

Corsair XMS3200LL DDR-DIMM 256MB PC3200
- 32Megx8, CAS 2-2-2-6-T1, 400MHz (AMD OK)

or

Corsair XMS3500 DDR-DIMM 256MB PC3200.
- 32Meg x 8, CAS 2-3-3-7-T1, 434MHz, 5ns

...and why is the second one called PC3200 shouldn't it be called PC3500?

Thanx in advance!

//erikss0n

Corsair pc3500 uses handpicked winbond 5ns=pc3200 chips that perform @ pc3500, if your plans are getting fsb higher than 200mhz go for it but if you want to get under 200mhh go for the pc3200 they both are good stuff

The PC-3200 works at Low Lateny strict timings if you were to relax them im sure you would get the equivialant of PC-3500 and vice versa. I think Corsair attempting to milk all the profits they can out of there differient but the same variants on there high end memory.

I'm not convinced that Corsair is simply trying to "milk" profits with their XMS 3500 RAM. Virtually every internet site out there has lauded XMS 3500 RAM for its stability and incredible overclockability. If you think about it, guaranteed 434 MHz DDR speed at the most aggressive settings is a pretty nice thing to be able to purchase. Like a prior poster on this thread said, Corsair handpicks the 3500 modules.

Oh, and just for reference, my own 512 MB stick of XMS 3500 can hit 450 MHz on aggresive settings.

So getting 3500XMS modules is the way to go with nforce2 boards, because most people anticipate high FSB speeds because of the locked divider. However, I do not think that there is much of a difference between the XMS 3200 and XMS 3500 modules... the 3500 modules simply have more relaxed timings, so they can run faster.... but in my opinion good timings are more essential than high fsb clock rate!
Uh, also, what do you guys think of the new matched memory corsair seels for dual DDR boards like granite bay and nforce2? How come they don't offer 3500 modules?
http://www.corsairmicro.com/xms/xms_modules.html

Also, when will those new LL (low latency) modules become available?

Last edited:
Be aware that the biggest factor in how well your DDR can do is the motherboard.

I have tested the same stick of Corsair XMS3500 C2 (blk). I did up to DDR472, 2-2-2-5 in an Epox 4PEA+, because I could jack the voltage up over 2.8 up to 3.2 (needed 3.0 volts to do this high).

On an Albatron PX845PEV Pro, it did DDR427, 2-2-2-5, still pretty damn impressive. Couldn't do higher as I was limited to 2.8 volts on this board. These are the max I could run Memtest with no errors (they are stable too in an OS).

I have yet to see any other motherboard come close to these two in running DDR well.

On an IT7, the same stick did 188, 2-2-2-5 at 2.9 volts (higher didn't help), though it did manage DDR456, 2-3-3-7.

The Epox is the best DDR board I have seen, however it is very picky and only does this well with Corsair XMS3500. It also likes an old Samsung DTL stick I have, where it does DDR456, 2.5-3-3-6 (may do higher). Even with the lame CAS settings, the Samsung yields 1700+ unbuffered mem scores.

method().man said:
I'm not convinced that Corsair is simply trying to "milk" profits with their XMS 3500 RAM. Virtually every internet site out there has lauded XMS 3500 RAM for its stability and incredible overclockability. If you think about it, guaranteed 434 MHz DDR speed at the most aggressive settings is a pretty nice thing to be able to purchase. Like a prior poster on this thread said, Corsair handpicks the 3500 modules.

Oh, and just for reference, my own 512 MB stick of XMS 3500 can hit 450 MHz on aggresive settings.
Im not saying Corsair is bad for what they are doing. Because, I truly believe thats what they are doing, changing the timings a bit and reselling it as Low Lantency ram. There a corporation they are in the business to make money. Automobile companies do it all the time. Share a platform, change the price to reflect the direction of the model of the brand. So its good business for them to resell the PC-3500 at strict timing if thats what they are doing. I don't doubt there credentials. Im just saying they are rebadging memory, which is quality so they can do that without cheating there customers on performance. But, the people who buy it get the privilege of paying the markup of a"flagship" stick of memery. Which, I again believe is just PC-3500 in disguise. Its just my opinion!

WinFlex said:
Also, when will those new LL (low latency) modules become available?
Its already available. ramstore.ca has it. The prices are canadian so its not as expensive as it seems. There other sites that carry it as a package, but I can't remember off the top of my head right now. You can check pricewatch for them.

Ludio said:

Im not saying Corsair is bad for what they are doing. Because, I truly believe thats what they are doing, changing the timings a bit and reselling it as Low Lantency ram. There a corporation they are in the business to make money. Automobile companies do it all the time. Share a platform, change the price to reflect the direction of the model of the brand. So its good business for them to resell the PC-3500 at strict timing if thats what they are doing. I don't doubt there credentials. Im just saying they are rebadging memory, which is quality so they can do that without cheating there customers on performance. But, the people who buy it get the privilege of paying the markup of a"flagship" stick of memery. Which, I again believe is just PC-3500 in disguise. Its just my opinion!

lol, we argue too much ;) :D

method().man said:

lol, we argue too much ;) :D
Yeah, I know I was thinking the same thing. But, its cool I like going at it. Just because I know you think your right and I the same :) ;) :D...LOL

i suggest you to get the pc3200LL, since it guarantees agressive timings, some ppl say that pc3500 and pc3200LL are the same, its true but i would still get the LL one just to be sure. I bet it can hit 434 on lagged timings

My XMS PC3200 does 2-2-2-5-1T np but it won't do over 400mhz...

EDIT: I'll amend that. I couldn't do 4:6 with my FSB between 133-148.

EDIT v2.0: I'll amend that further to say my suxmobo won't let me up the voltage. It's not OC friendly.

Back