• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick PSU Question (Are these good specs)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPFitz14

Alright...I'm building a dual rig, and spotted this 500w power supply for only $28.50, the retailer seems like they could be a little shady, but I think i'm going to take my chances.

How are these specs:

500 Watt ATX Power Supply Dual Fan

ATX 500 Watt Power Supply for P4 ,PIII and AMD processor ,compatible with ATX 2.03 standard. DC Output : +5V 50A +/-5%, +3.3V 30A +/-4%, +12V 25A +/-5%,-12V 0.8A +/-10%, -5V 0.5A +/-10%, , +5Vsb 2.0A +/-5%.

With exclusive DC connector for the P4 CPU.

With 4-pin Power Connector x6

With Floppy Power Connector x2

Input Voltage :110V/220V AC.

Good for AMD All Processor, Intel All Processor

Will be powering:

2 1700 tbreds
Msi k7d master
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Wireless lan
6 fans (counting cpu fans)
CD-rw
ti4200

-CPFitz-

I know this stuff gets asked a lot, but, I'm hoping to order the ps tonight, and wanted a little reassurance.

I'm almost positive this powersupply will cut it, what do you guys think?

It may work fine though the specs seem a little bit on the too good too be true for that price. I would be leary. If you are not planning on OCing it will probly serve you well but I prefer to be certain when it comes to PSU. Add that to the fact that you are already a bit leary of the retailer makes me say dont do it. Shop around a bit more. You dont need 500w for that rig and for near that price you will find a better deal.

Yeah....I think you're right. I'm probably going to go with the 450 watt allied from newegg. $41. Seems like good quality at a good price.

-CPFitz-

The Allied, which is a Deer is supposedly better than the old Deers which caught fire many times I've read. For that much money you can get the Fortron/Sparkle(same supply) 350 which put out 454 watts in Tom's test. It's a proven supply and probably puts out more than the Allied.

Yeah....but:

A) I don't trust Tomshardware at all, that gives me reason not to get it in itself

B) Although if it really does put out 454 watts, it doesn't have enough amps. I'm no expert on this, but the k7d master recommends a minimum of 32A on the 5v. The sparkle has 32A, the allied has 50a.

Thanks for the suggestion though, don't mean to take the wind out of your sails;):D

I just found another 500w for $28.50, and I think I'm going to grab it. It's an "achieve" with basically the same specs.

I hope I don't regret this.:D

-CPFitz-

If it doesn't work out, I could always try and wire my old 300 watt to it, right?

You might try reading Larva's sticky. You'll learn plenty and it will make choosing easier. Those 500 watt supplies for 28 dollars may end up getting real expensive.

Back