• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

free cold air exchange h20 cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
ok first i apollogise for no pics ,i dont have a digi cam.
but i do have the drawings i did of it and it works well and is quiet.this has come about as i had planned to have my mini freezer setup to run this h20 system but since i have other priorities for better mobo and such it keeps getting put off.

i used a cardboard box and cut a hole large enough in it so i could place the heater core over it and could tape it down with duct tape.i put weather striping in between the box and heater core.

then i cut holes for 4 high cmf 80mm fans.they are way to loud to be on the inside so i knew id have to have them outside somehow.
i put it all together and works great.the water has a small amount of anifreeze in it so i dont freeze up and its at room temp,so that will take all night im sure to chill it down.

i was getting 40c @2500 w/prime at 1.85 vcore.
its now after this mod to 33c and dropping.i expect 24-26c for temps when its run long enough.ive been messing with a simlier setup but was making my room to cold so this is why this was done.

my room is back to normal temps and i cant even hardly here those loud fans since they are on the outside.

my setup.
DD maze3 1/2" id
500gph danner mag 1/2'id
10"x6" heater core 1/2"id barbs
4x80mm high cmf fans on 12v.

window box.jpg
box side.jpg

Last edited:
after 2 hours of running this with prime still going im getting 28c @load 2505mhz 1.85vcore.

if i take prime off it drops to 23-24c but this will take a good 8 hours to bring the temp of the h20 down.im using id guess 5 gallon resivour.

i dont have a temp on the h20 yet.but id guess its around 20c at the moment to keep the cpu that cold.ill repost tomorow after this has run all night folding. i expect more good news.

this have got to be the only good advantage to living in ohio in the winter.

"edit" well i think this worked a little too well. cpu was 29c at full load with prime when i went to bed.woke up the pc was off and i got scared,and for good reason.

seems i didnt quite have enough antifreeze in the h20 and my lines and heater core were frozen solid.lukily nutten was hurt thanks to asus mobo.im sure it over heated as the pump couldnt do nothing.

anyhow it took the cpu out and everything is fine.now i added another half gallon of antifreeze and checked the cpu which is fine.was looking for bubbles or spotting but looks great.

ill be keep ing a closer eye for now on.

Last edited:
ok after a complete reinstall of the major stuff its back up and running.i did that so i could make sure everything is upto snuff and safe.

my room is nice and quiet and also warm.im on the second floor so i have no worrys of a break in on the window.

[email protected] while folding im at 32c.no problems with condensation yet either keeping close eye on it but with it being winter the humidity is very low in the house.especially with gas heat.

i still fully expect a drop in cpu temp to 25c,isnt bad considering ill need a h20 temp of 10c i figure to do that.

Back