• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you can feel the warmth...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brunt

I am trying not to fry this stick of ram, its a generic as can be PC2700.

I think I have a 30mhz OC on it or so...if I put my finger to it, and leave it there...I can feel a slight feeling of warmth, almost have to pay attention to notice it. Think if I went to a 50mhz OC on it, it would be ok?

here my opinion. mhz or extra fsb as i would call it doesnt hurt ram.
adding extra voltage is what kills it.i run 3vdimm my self and mine doesnt really heat up either.many will say mine will die soon at this voltage,but i doubt that myself.i guess we will see.

So someone telling me "my ram is holding me back" really only means how stable it overclocks? Alright, its a cheap stick...I want to get 2.0 sooner or later, almost at 1.9

If I cant get 2.0, I might try for a different stick of ram..might just go get 3200.

what is meant the ram is holding you back is that it wont run high fsb at the given timeings.you can relax them or add voltage to get it higher.

ive taken corsair pc2100 upto 207fsb.doesnt mean all sticks will fo that its just a matter of how you configure everything.

ahh alright, now about timings...whats the most aggressive, and what the most relaxed? Is there a thread to explain the memory timing to me?

yeh i think there is one on timings in memory section.
but for amd 2.0-2-2-5 cmd 1T in the best,2.5-3-3-6 cmd2T are the most relaxed.ive found it takes 10fsb extra to overcome relaxed timings.so best timings at 170fsb are equal to 180fsb relaxed.

ahh alright, well I just tried the aggressive settings...had a hard time POSTing...so went back to relaxed, if relaxed is good for about 10 fsb, I might be nearing my max. I am gonna skip 1.88 and go to 1.89ghz(180fsb) to burn in tonight, then try 1.9ghz tomorrow.

Back