• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question for those who've made blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shroomer

member with no avatar
Just how hard is it to tap copper... I've heard horror stories and I've heard it's easy... Which is it?

I'll be tapping a nice, big diameter hole, but it will be in quite a way... Maybe an inch.

have fun and use a lubricant! Tapping copper is tough. anything smaller than a #8 should be done with a cold forming tap, not a cutting tap. Large holes are easier, but still not fun. If you have nothing else, use engine oil as a lubricant. It'll keep your tool sharp and cutting. Also, remember to back the tap out intermittently to break off the chips.

its quite easy if you have the correct lube, I have this stuff that I found on accident, I dont know the name, I can take my 6-32 CUTTING tap and just run it thru like a screw, its crazy Ill get a pic or something later when I go do some more milling
and Im gonna try the 4-40 with that stuff

Taper threads through thicker bar stock is where I had trouble. I ended up putting it in a vice with a 2foot steel tube sliped over the end of a wrench just to turn that 1/4npt tap through 1/2 aluminum. Copper is bit easier though since it's softer but sucks trying to cut it.

SysCrusher said:
Taper threads through thicker bar stock is where I had trouble. I ended up putting it in a vice with a 2foot steel tube sliped over the end of a wrench just to turn that 1/4npt tap through 1/2 aluminum. Copper is bit easier though since it's softer but sucks trying to cut it.

lol that must have been a very blunt tap im surprised that it didnt snap with that mutch toque on it

anaway you shold not have problems tapping out copper its very soft so you have to be very careful that you apply an eaven pressure as you turn:cool:

slater3333uk said:

lol that must have been a very blunt tap im surprised that it didnt snap with that mutch toque on it

anaway you shold not have problems tapping out copper its very soft so you have to be very careful that you apply an eaven pressure as you turn:cool:

lol Yeah me too. When I got done I looked at the first cutting thread on the tap, and the corners were cracked off. The thicker npt taps can handle pretty good amount of torque to my surprise.

Yes, I'll be making a very simple block... The tap will be 1/4 npt, but I'm going to tap all the way through for more surface and turbulance. Should do alright.

SysCrusher said:

I had similar difficulty with a cheap tap I bought at a mega-hardware store. I found out a friend had a 1/4 NPT tap, and tapping was much easier with his tap. Tap quality makes a big difference. Unfortunately, I don't know what brands are good. I think it's worth some research though.

The one I have says "totem" on it... Perhaps that's the brand name. I got it from a specialty plumbing store for like $7-9 last year.

Back