• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentuim 42.8 or Amd xp2700 ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warduke_uk

Hi iam new to overclockers forum !!! I am after some advice on cpu and motherboard combination. What would be the best p4 2.8 with asus p4pe or xp2700 ???. Thanks for your help:eek:

Well...that depends.

If you pair that p4 with rambus RAM, that would be the way to go. It would almost certainly outperform the comparable AMD chip in every respect. Rambus is usually much more expensive than DDR, though. If you can afford rambus RAM, you can probably afford the 3.06 p4 :D

If you were planning to go with DDR-Ram...well, that's a little harder question. The p4 with DDR probably would outperform the AMD...but I don't think it would beat it by much. And the AMD system would almost certainly be priced better.

Personally, I'd go with the AMD, for best performance for the price. And I'd go with an n-force2 motherboard for best performance/stability.

newegg.com prices:

Athlon XP 2700+ $330 OEM, $342 retail
Pentium 4 2.8 $382 retail

not much of a price difference, but the AMD is cheaper. That p4 may outperform the AMD 2700+, but I expect that it won't be by much...not $40 worth of performance, anyway :D

And, personally, I like using AMD chips. So that's what I would go with if I were in your shoes.

As far as motherboards...personally, I'd go with one with the nforce2 chipset. The nforce2 boards allow locking of the AGP and PCI buses, making overclocking your CPU a breeze!

Second choice would be a Via chipset. The Via KT266 chipset will not support the 2700+ (I don't think it will, anyway). So you'd want a motherboard with Via's KT333 or KT400 chipset. Via chipsets are notorious for being unstable...but they have a mixed reputation. Some guys never have any problems.

There are several motherboards out there with either of these chipsets. You can go to newegg.com and shop the motherboards by what chipset they have.

After you decide what chipset you want the motherboard to have, it's really just a matter of picking the motherboard by name brand, price, and features...as motherboards with the same chipset will perform very closely.

good luck!

Back