• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

16v DC @900mA Too Much for Fans??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

I have a power supply that puts out 16v@900mA how long would my fans run before they just got to hot and fried themselfs. I want to run about 5-80mm case fans and 2 neon tubes off of an exterior power supply. Should be easy to set up seeing as I have a few extra power conecters. THIS WILL BE TOTALLY SEPERAT FROM THE COMPUTER POWER.

To me it looks like the volts are going to be too high and the amperage will be to low but what do you guys think.

16 volts for a 12 volt fan? They might burn out, they might not. I have burned 80mm fans up at 17V and some have worked, for a while anyway.

Well the amperage you dont have to worry about, the components will only draw what they want unless they have internal resistance close to 0 (like an LED). Duty cycle decrease is hard to say, the fans you might be able to find duty cycle diagrams on the web, but 4 volts increase wont kill it too quickly (just eventually). The CCL i dont think is safe to hook up unless that inverter has an input range close to16V.

What you can do is modify some connectors with some resistors inline thatll drop the voltages to what you need. Just use series and parrallel resistor combinations to get close to 12V going through there. Then it should be fine.

Well I did it. Here are the pics

Well as luck would have it, the old Motorola Power Supply that I had was over-rated. On a voltmeter, it was only pusing 13.5- 14v max. When it was loaded with all my gadgets it only ran 12 - 13v Which is perfect. Man what a mess of wires though.

http://www.david.westcoastfieros.com/outsidepower

I used a couple of connectors from an old computer psu and fixed them to the case. So now I have a plug on the back of my computer that I plug into for fan power. Worked out really nice. I will post a couple of pics on here to show what I mean.

Thanks to Everybody that replied. It really works awsome now.

Well sweet, things worked out. As a rule of thumb i always say dont use a supply if its +/- 20% for solid state components and 10-15% for those with digital logic.

youre good to go, and nice pics to go along!

Thank You

I am pretty happy with it. I noticed that my fan speeds on the fans that are still hooked to the motherboard power are also running faster, causing my CPU temps to drop even lower. The basic temp inside the case has also dropped. YAAAA.

I wouldn't run the setup 24/7 yet - cos if one of your fans DOES decide to die on you, and you are asleep at the time, then you are in deep water...

iamthegreatest said:
I wouldn't run the setup 24/7 yet - cos if one of your fans DOES decide to die on you, and you are asleep at the time, then you are in deep water...

?? I don't quite understand your post. My CPU fan and 2 case fans are still running off of the Motherboard so frying them wont be a problem.

All the stuff on external power is only being fed, 12-13v which is well within tolerance spec.

Is there something that I am missing.??

i ran an antec 80mm at 24volts for like a few days actualy it was like 1 and a half then it started to smell like it got hot and then it just stopped an never worked again

wildbilly2k said:
i ran an antec 80mm at 24volts for like a few days actualy it was like 1 and a half then it started to smell like it got hot and then it just stopped an never worked again

im surprised that it ran that long. musta had som good airflow in that case. most components cant handle that kida increase without a PWM.

That looks cool but it's in serious need of some wire management. I'm glad the powersupply worked out for ya.

Wire Were a Mess

I have since managed to hide most of the wires under the lower PCI card. Was a pain but they are all tucked away pretty good so you can't see them.

The only bad thing is that the new external PSU did not solve my probelms. I got in there with an ohm meter and the 12v reads 11.8 and 11.7. The big worry is the 3.3 is reading is 2.8 under heavy load. It looks like I am going to have to change the Main PSU anyway.

good work finding a solution. I had a 116cfm (120mm) fan running on 20v instead of 12v for a couple of minutes once. It slowly started to move across my desk (was standing upright), tipped over, fell into my lap, and cut my fingers. their all better now and the fan is only running on 7v now as a punishment

f00t said:
good work finding a solution. I had a 116cfm (120mm) fan running on 20v instead of 12v for a couple of minutes once. It slowly started to move across my desk (was standing upright), tipped over, fell into my lap, and cut my fingers. their all better now and the fan is only running on 7v now as a punishment

lmao... sry... but the punishment thing is halarious.

so you can really notice your fans connected to the Mobo going faster?

FunkDaMonkMan said:

lmao... sry... but the punishment thing is halarious.

so you can really notice your fans connected to the Mobo going faster?

If you asking me if I noticed my fans going fast the answer is a resounding YES. It probably wont make a diff to most people that dont go as nuts with air cooling as me, but I am going to be adding lots more stuff to the case pusing the PSU harder and harder. I have already decided that I AM going to upgrade the PSU to a 400watt Antec The one from here, as it seems that according to all of you it is a nice PSU. http://www.atoponline.com/product.asp?Type_ID=15&id=E02-17

I hope that the link works.

Back