• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best DDR motherboard???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jumper

Registered
Ok, I've waited 5 months to build my first computer because DDR was "just around the corner"! Well it's finally here but I can't seem to figure out what motherboard is the best from the reviews I've read. Is the VIA kt266 chipset the better chipset or not? I'd like to get one that will support the Palomino when it's available. What do you think? Thanks,
Jumper

I saw a comparison betweena FIC AD11 (AMD 760 chipset), a Iwill KA266 (ALi Magik1), and a MSI K7T266 (Via KT266). The FIC and the MSI battled for the top spot with the Iwill in last place. The Iwill even got beat out by a few KT133A boards. I'd go for the MSI, it looks decent now and I think with Via behind it producing good drivers and such it will mature more than the other DDR boards out there now.

SickBoy

I just placed an order for the MSI K7T266 raid. Once I get it ip and running, I will post my results.

SickBoy (Apr 03, 2001 01:19 p.m.):
I saw a comparison betweena FIC AD11 (AMD 760 chipset), a Iwill KA266 (ALi Magik1), and a MSI K7T266 (Via KT266). The FIC and the MSI battled for the top spot with the Iwill in last place. The Iwill even got beat out by a few KT133A boards. I'd go for the MSI, it looks decent now and I think with Via behind it producing good drivers and such it will mature more than the other DDR boards out there now.

SickBoy
Would you happen to remember the location of the comparison of which you speak? I am also in the market for a DDR board and I'd like to do some research and see the specific pros and cons of all of the boards before I make a purchase.

Thanks for the MSI tip.

Now how about a "truth n lending" on the CPU?

If a T-bird 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 are all currently releases of the same silicon die, should an O/C'er buy the lowest cost of the family architecture or the highest cost. The cost spread is pretty wide within the family.

Your opinion please? And any technical reasoning behind it.

hrmchan

as soon as i go by and pick up my check after school today i'm going to go buy the asus a7m266. . . allows for setting the processor up in 1mhz increments!

The only problem with the A7M266 is that you can't adjust the clock multiplier. Am I correct in this?

got to be honest, I have nothing but good things to say about the ka266r (version 1.3) with the feb.15th bios

The current king of DDR boards is without any doubt the A7M266 from Asus. The multiplier is missing, yes, you have to solder, but that is the only
issue. Sure, you will find reviews which out this AMD760 or that AMD760 board slightly ahead, but I think it is fair to say, that the majority puts the
A7M266 on top, just recently at Anand, at Tom's and at gamepc.

ALI boards are cheaper but a bit slower. And the KT266, well, we will see, for sure a lot of potential, but now, I don't thing anybody would take chances to get one of these flawed first generation KT266 boards like the MSIK7T266 with BIOS and design issues and horrible performance.

I've got a A7M and the clock multiplier is now integrated in the BIOs ... juz have a keen eye and look out for it... or read the manual it shows u the clock multiplier :>

Trust me, I'm not calling you out on your statement, but I have Revision 1.04 of the A7M266 and am even running the BETA 1004D Bios and although there is a line in the Bios for "multiplier", to the best of my knowledge it is at this time NOT FUNCTIONAL. If I am incorrect or there is an even newer Bios could you please point me in the right direction, as other than the multiplier issue I have nothing but GOOD to say about my experience with this board.

nonsense: the A7M266 does not have a multiplier setting, you have to solder
the missing dip swtch block in and you have to change 2 resistors. There is no multiplier change through the BIOS and there will be no, as ASUS had mad it clear. Nevertheless, the A7M266 is a great board, the best DDR board around.

Mojo (Apr 17, 2001 05:30 a.m.):
I've got a A7M and the clock multiplier is now integrated in the BIOs ... juz have a keen eye and look out for it... or read the manual it shows u the clock multiplier :>

You guys both amaze me! I used to pride myself on being at least reasonably well informed, and yet in one thread I discover that there are things in the Bios which to me are inactive and yet function for others and now I find that Asus has slammed the door on ANY possibility of activating a function which is present in their current Bios. Will the revelations ever stop?

The A7A266 is at best a marketing gimmick to cash in on the fence post setters who are unwilling to commit to a new technology. The A7A266 is in the same category as those boards which sported both slot and socket technology, a little bit of both and not much of either. Trying to make something backward compatable while pushing forward new technology is a recipe for problems, just look at MicroSoft's various attempts at trying to maintain compatability with old DOS based software while at the same time trying to lead us kicking and screaming into a new Millenium.

Hello to one and all,

Does anyone know anything about the ASUS A7V266? Is the multiplier in the BIOS? What chipset is it?

Thanks

TheGimp (Apr 17, 2001 05:53 a.m.):
Trust me, I'm not calling you out on your statement, but I have Revision 1.04 of the A7M266 and am even running the BETA 1004D Bios and although there is a line in the Bios for "multiplier", to the best of my knowledge it is at this time NOT FUNCTIONAL. If I am incorrect or there is an even newer Bios could you please point me in the right direction, as other than the multiplier issue I have nothing but GOOD to say about my experience with this board.

Hey Gimp,

Is it true that the ata100 controller is slower on the A7M. I read it somewhere and can't find the link again.
I am interested in this board, but im wating for the A7V266 to come out to compare it with.
Thanks,
Greg

Back