• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Power & Cooling: Bad apple out of the batch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

Well, I gave in to all the praise for the PCP&C power supplies, and ordered me a 400W Silencer. I got it a few days ago, and when I opened the box I found a PSU with a lot of scratches all over it. Even the molex connectors looked old with their beige color (not semi-transparent like the other PSUs I've been using lately), but I felt they dealt with performance more than with looks anyway. I tested it with my PIII system and it worked fine (even though I didn't check the voltages with a multimeter and they're not listed with the motherboard, I felt I can trust PCP&C).

A few days later when I get everything I need to test my new mobo, it also works fine. However, I wasn't ready to have everything set up yet, so I leave it in the case. The next day, I check the system, and the case around the PSU was very warm, like I had the system on the whole night. So I test it out, and nothing happens. The system acts like it's about to start for a split-second, but then nothing happens. I try again and the same thing happens, and if I listen closely I hear a buzzing sound coming from the PSU every time I hit the power button (sounds like putting power lines in Sim City 2000 ;), but not as long). I put in my generic 300W, and the system powers up, but I don't think it's strong enough to get it through the POST.

Anyone have a problem like this with PCP&C? Like I said earlier, the PSU seemed to be old and looked used already. I plan to RMA this PSU, hoping that I used my $143 on the right company.

Last edited:
I've never had anything like that, and I've bought a half dozen or so PSU's from them over the years.

Give them a call tomorrow morning. This is definitely a freak occurance.

BHD

I would send it back right away, sounds like a mistake...call them and have them cross-ship you a new one so you can get it quickly, and make sure they cover return freight. PC Power & Cooling is the Rolls Royce of PSU, I wouldn't want you to get the wrong impression of thier product. I think once this little mix up is corrected you will be very impressed

Have you ever talked to Rolls-Royce owners? The cars aren't reliable. :(

Other than the fans, what can cause a buzzing in a switching PSU? A bad high voltage capacitor?

I wouldn't know :(
I did e-mail PCP&C (since it was kinda late last night), and they asked me to do this troubleshooting guide LINK. They also said to try using two hard drives instead of just one (something like only one draws 2A from the 5v and the PSU provides 5A, I dunno). Anyway, after trying that guide, every time I shorted the wires I heard a clicking sound and the fan won't power up. I hope I don't have to do any other tests cause I just want a working PSU as soon as possible.

Man that sucks. I was just about to order a PS from them, but I think I'll hold off until I see how they handle your problem.

Rolls Royce of PS, I thought they were the Ferrari or Lamborghini of PS. That 5-year warranty is pretty awesome though...

Enermax- 1-year
Vantec- 3-years
Antec- 3-years

Tipycol --

I had pretty much the same experience as you, only my PSU wasn't scratched when I got it. And it never mad a buzzing sound. But as you can see it's the same model as yours.

Mine worked great for 3-4 weeks I think. Then one day it just wouldn't power up like you said. It'd turn on for a split second, but nothing else. I troubleshot (troubleshooted??) for a couple days and finally gave them a call.

They'll send you a new one. When I called them the guy was like "Less than 1 in a million is defective" but they replaced it (cross-shipped it).

Sounds like you got a bad one. Don't worry about PCPC, they do make the best PSU's, they are a good company, and I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

The transformer normally vibrates at 30,000-100,000 Hz, so if it makes any noise it should sound like a whistle. But if a high voltage filter capacitor blew it might send audible 120 Hz to the transformer.

Well, I'm happy to report that PC Power & Cooling did a good job with my RMA. After sending e-mails Sunday and replying to them on Monday, I was given their 800 number to request for a RMA #. They sent FedEx to my house to pick up the old PSU, and overnighted the other one to me (got here on Thursday cause I made the call late Tuesday). And the replacement has been working fine. So hopefully, I just got one of those one in million PSUs that failed.

Transformer on a switching PS does not have laminates. Core is made of ferite. Most likely cause for buzzing is a bad high voltage capacitor. Or could it be a wire hitting a fan blade?

Back