• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better Temp measurement with V9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazerin

If you have a Thermaltake Volcano 9 and you have an insocket thermistor as the only thing measuring your temperature for the cpu, here's an idea that I came up with for a more accurate temperature reading for your cpu.

You must be using the smartfan II's temperature probe for this. I recommend you place the probe on the underside of the cpu, directly behind the cpu core.

According to Thermaltake's specs for the SmartFan II, when attached to the temp probe, it does 1300rpm at 20*C and 4800rpm at 55*C. I'm 99% certain that this increase is linear, despite their graph.

So here is my version of the graph:

3e2b8cbd34c960d4.jpg

As you can see, the equation for this graph is y=0.01x + 7, given that y is the temperature and x is the rpm.

From this formula, I have established a table for every 100rpm increase starting from 1300rpm to 4800rpm:

3e2b8d4735341884.jpg

What this table allows you to do is to quickly and easily find the conversion from rpm to temperature eg 2800rpm means the cpu is around 35*C.

This method should prove to be more accurate than using an insocket thermistor.

I haven't tried it tho.....so don't flame me :D

Remember, its just an idea!

You are supposed to put the probe behind the CPU. As for the increase gradually...I think it jumps...I know the sound doesn't get increasingly louder...it just gets loud all of a sudden. You could be right, and I am missing the stepping up of the fan RPM, but I believe it just has a couple speeds not a varying one (when u use the probe)

COuld you wire the sensor lead across the solder pins from the in-socket thermistor?

Or would that blow something?

Back