• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce 2 Go

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Too Smart

I am considering purchasing a laptop and the video card it has is the Geforce 2 Go. Has anyone used a laptop with this card, and how well is it at handling games? I intend to use the laptop mostly for programming, but if it could run some of the latest games at a decent frame rate that would be really great. Anyone know?

Well, the gf2go's arent GREAT, but they are alright for older games. The newer 3d games maybe have a bit of a problem getting higher fps, but if your talking games like CS, starcraft, war3, quake3, ut2k3, it should run those pretty well, atleast 60 fps.

While I've never benced it, I dave a Dell Inspirion 8000, P3 800, with the GeForce 2 Go.

While on the road, I sometimes play the Ut2K3 demo to pass the time.

It is definitely very playable at 600 x 800 32 bit, No AA, average eye candy.

When I run the comp off battery the processor steps down to 600 Mhz, and It is still very playable, never noticed any skipping.

If you're a FPS junkie, a laptop may not do you well, but for general payability, the 2 go could do you well.

My biggest problem, is the screen (15" viewable) isn't the greatest for games. but that's with most laptop screens I believe.

Thanks guys that's exactly the type of info I was looking for. Actually I already have a desktop which is what I use for gaming, however sometimes I have as much as 3 hours between classes and if there's nothing to do then it would be great if this laptop could run some games. I guess if UT2003 will run on it then pretty much anything out right now will run on it fine.

The Geforce2 Go chip is roughly equivalent to a Geforce 2 MX with the only difference being that the Go uses shared memory architecture (a necessity on the laptop). It's almost the exact same as the graphics core on the nForce1 chipset.

Depending on the game, and your CPU speed, you'll be able to play most any game 1.) that isn't super new or 2.) if you dumb down the quality settings.

its like a geforce2mx400. but the LCD will ghost also notebooks arent made for games, the hdd and cd rom are slow, so is the mobo. If you benchmark on a 800MHz notebook and 800MHz desktop, the desktop is like 33% faster. youd get like 30fps in 640x480x16 bit color

umm i highly doubt it will run UT2k3 well.......the original UT should run nicely though...

I got a Dell inspirion 8200 with a GF4 440 64mb & p4 1.6. I like it alot, it plays ut2003 kinda OK. I get about 20-25fps at 1024x768, it plays Jedi Knight 2 outcast sweet! If I were you I would get one that has the GF4 440 don't get the GF2 go

My mad onion bench is 5,800.

I played with a mobility 7500 and was surprized how well it played Ut2k3. That might be a good one to look at too, if you have a choice.

I jelous of you guys with decent vid cards in your laptops, anyone wanna trade:p

EDIT: here are the benchmarks I did with it. The 3dmark score is low, but UT2k3 played well on it with 8 players/bots. It also looked really good too, but that may be due to the UXGA screen (i think its called UXGA).

Running on a P4 2.2 with XP home. Absolutely nothing is optimized, since its not my laptop.

Anyway, 3864 3dmarks

Car Chase low: 56 fps
Car Chase high: 32 fps
Dragothic low: 60 fps
Dragothic high: 38 fps
Lobby low: 65 fps
Lobby high: 34 fps

Last edited:
You guys know where I can get ahold of one of these video cards seperatly?

I have the older Latitude C800 (same as inspirion 8000) with the ATI Mobile card. Would like to get ahold of the Nvidia GF4 Go cards that come with the newer ones and see if I can drop it in as a replacement.

Would like to play AA on my laptop.

Tracert said:
You guys know where I can get ahold of one of these video cards seperatly?

I have the older Latitude C800 (same as inspirion 8000) with the ATI Mobile card. Would like to get ahold of the Nvidia GF4 Go cards that come with the newer ones and see if I can drop it in as a replacement.

Would like to play AA on my laptop.

Yeah bro they sell them as an upgrade and as a seperate purchase. Surf around these forums and get some info. These cards are not soldered in like the old style. But...it depends on which modle of laptop you have, I'm not sure if yours is compatible or not, you will have to check the forums and post a thread. Its actually a very popular topic so there is bound to be lots of info from people who have already upgraded thier card.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums

Click on the "Inspirion" or "Latitude" forums.:cool:

Overclocker550 said:
Dude, if you wanna game, get a desktop :rolleyes:

"Actually I already have a desktop which is what I use for gaming,however sometimes I have as much as 3 hours between classes and if there's nothing to do then it would be great if this laptop could run some games.":rolleyes:

use those 3 hours for homework or study, duh!!!!!!!! then when he gets home hes free! Get homework out of the way

Thats what I was talking about. Thats Y I want one. Had a friend play using his Inspiron with the GF4 Go setup and it was very nice.

I cant find them for sale on the net, but I know the v card is easily swappable in this Latitude.

Hmmmm anyone see any for sale?

Last edited:
Back