• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GF4 MX for $60 -70

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

b_usa

Registered
My bud is looking for a nice but inexpensive Gf$MX. Ive found an Albatron MX4440 for $66 on newegg.com, but it has 6.0ns ram at 200mhz stock. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I've been trying to find something similar, 6ns mem chips at 200MHz stock seems odd to me though.

I picked up an MSI MS440SE-T but I'm going to return it because I found out that the memory bus is only 64 bits (although it's 128 bits according to their website). It's got 5ns Samsung ram chips on it.

Why not get a Radeon? I don't want to seem like a fan boy or anything, but the Radeon 9000 can be had for a very small amount more, and the Radeon is way ahead of the GF4 MX. The Radeon is DX 8.1, and the GeForce4 MX is only DX 7!

I was just looking for a really cheap card for a second box myself, so it was between an MX440 and a Radeon 7500. I agree though, if you want to spend even just a bit more a Radeon 9000 is worth it just for the full DX8 support.

Yeah, the 9000 is the way to go, and if you get lucky and catch one on newegg, you could get a refurb 8500 for around the same price.

The egg used to carry an ASUS MX440 that came stock at 500 for around $65. Now I don't see it on there though.

I would also look out for maybe a GF3 Ti200 (if new) or a Ti500 (if refurb). These cards are still preferable to any of the GeForce4 MX cards.

Radeon's would be higher performers at the same pricepoint as well. (8500/9000)

so does the MX440, the MX420 uses SDR

edit: or at least that is how Nvidia's reference design was

Even the crappiest of 8500le's for $72 would be better then that, and certainly not better then a Gf3 or a good r8500le for a few extra bucks.

Overclocker550 said:
someone said he got the 64 bit verson of the mx440

That was me. It was an MSI MX440 SE though. According to the site the only difference with the SE is a 166MHz (333DDR) memory clock, but still a 128 bit bus. The card I got has a 64 bit bus though. :mad:

Captain Hilts said:

That was me. It was an MSI MX440 SE though. According to the site the only difference with the SE is a 166MHz (333DDR) memory clock, but still a 128 bit bus. The card I got has a 64 bit bus though. :mad:
LOL, you got a clocked up MX-200 then. That was the difference between an MX-200 (64bit) and an MX-400 (128bit).

Yeah I thought that it was a pretty dirty trick on their part. I'm going to return it and pick up something else, probably a Radeon 7500.

I saw a Forsa MX440 SE there as well. Aparently that one is supposed to have a 128 bit bus, but who knows anymore.

Back