• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some 2400+ t-bred help, please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mortanis

Registered
Just got my Asus A7N8X and my T-bred 2400+ installed. Everything is nice.

However it's now time to overclock.

I've not worked with newer boards and chips, so things are a bit unfamiliar (i've worked with XP's, however). On the POST screen and in windows it reads my chip as a 2400+ @ 2ghz. Great. In bios, it tells me it's at 12.5X/13.5X @ 133 FSB. Those numbers don't add up properly.

So i tried leaving the multiplier at the same level, and upped my FSB to 140. On POST the computer told me my chip was too fast (i forget the exact error). What gives?

What do i need to know to overclock this thing? Am i missing a setting that allows me to override the POST error i'm getting? What should my settings be at?

Thanks!

OK to start with set the cpu up manuallyin the Bios for FSB and multi (133 x 15). Then once you get it to post OK start to overclock.

Tried that, on reboot i get the "Warning!! Chip have over speed" error again, and it stalls there.

=/

I'm running the .g revision of the bios. That's the newest according to asus.com

It appears that the 2 following things are true:

1. no matter what i manually set the Multiplier at, any of the settings, it still remains locked. If i leave the FSB at 133, each of the multiplier settings results in 2ghz.

2. Increasing the FSB to anything above 133 results in failure. Sometimes it'll get to windows and instantly BSOD, sometimes it'll not post. other times it will just hang up somewhere between the two.

I have a few things i'm going to check out. if anyone has more ideas, please post. i'll post my results as i discover them.

u need to unlock ur processor, i have the 2400 / a7n8x, and i couldnt get above 144 when it was locked, now im at 200x11.5

That's unfortunate. I was led to believe that the t-bred cores on a A7N8X were unlocked by default. I don't feel like unlocking the chip, as i've fried 3 chips in the last month alone, which is why i bought this new one.

Well, that's disheartening. Had i known i'd have gotten a different setup.

Mortanis said:
That's unfortunate. I was led to believe that the t-bred cores on a A7N8X were unlocked by default. I don't feel like unlocking the chip, as i've fried 3 chips in the last month alone, which is why i bought this new one.

Well, that's disheartening. Had i known i'd have gotten a different setup.

8RDA+! :)

Bump. Do i have any alternatives besides unlocking it? Was i mislead when i was told that a t-bred with a A7N8X was unlocked?

when asus comes out w/ the 1003 bios, ur processor will be unlocked.

thats what i've heard

now that IS good news, if its true and actually happens soon. Excellent. Well, I guess i'll just wait and see what happens

Thanks again!

Back