• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vantec Nexus...my experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schott1984

Registered
hey all. i just got my vantec nexus yesterday and i put it in this morning. when i ordered it from newegg.com, i had hoped to use it to control my 2 80mm 84cfm case fans that are LOUD. when i got it, i found out that it only uses the small three pin connectors. so...a modifying i went. the nexus says to put one connector going from the motherboard fan power header, to the back of the nexus; and then go from the nexus to the fan you want to power with a 3 pin connector wire. i didn't wanna power my two .75A fans with the mobo header, so i had to think of something. i cut the three pin connector off the end of the supplied wire, and then took a molex connector i removed from one of my fans (explained later), and put it on the end of the wire instead. then i plugged a male molex connector from the psu into that to power the fans. since my fans had 4 pin molex connectors already installed, and a three pin connector from each to monitor rpm with, i had to modify them to plug into the three pin connector of the nexus. so, what i did was i removed the three prong connector from the end of the wire that was supposed to plug into the fan. then i cut the molex connectors off the fans, and connected the reds to the red on the nexus wire, and the black to the blacks. for RPM monitoring on the nexus, i cut the three pin connector off one of the fans, and then attached that yellow wire to the yellow wire of the wire supplied with the nexus. the rpm wire for the other fan i left plugged into the mobo, so progs such as MBM would still be able to monitor it. all worked good so far. the one problem im having thought is that i can't get my fans to run as fast as they did without the nexus. they are 6000RPM fans., but at max, they only run at about 4700. it is sufficient cooling, but i would like to get their full functionality if i ever needed it. i put the cpu probe on the green/brown (i forgot the color) board of the cpu around the core. i think i may have been better off putting it on the heat sink bottom because the nexus reads temps about 8C lower than MBM reads. so, if anyone has feedback or any ways to help me get my fans back to full speed, please post!!

thanks

--Eli

i just got mine yesterday from mpcparts.com and mine came with adapters... didn't you get any? i love mine... they spin the fans at max speed and also make it silent :)

When I ordered mine, it came with adaptors. I suggest calling the place you got it from and inquire about the adaptors.

schott1984 said:
hey all. i just got my vantec nexus yesterday and i put it in this morning. when i ordered it from newegg.com, i had hoped to use it to control my 2 80mm 84cfm case fans that are LOUD. when i got it, i found out that it only uses the small three pin connectors. so...a modifying i went. the nexus says to put one connector going from the motherboard fan power header, to the back of the nexus; and then go from the nexus to the fan you want to power with a 3 pin connector wire. i didn't wanna power my two .75A fans with the mobo header, so i had to think of something. i cut the three pin connector off the end of the supplied wire, and then took a molex connector i removed from one of my fans (explained later), and put it on the end of the wire instead. then i plugged a male molex connector from the psu into that to power the fans. since my fans had 4 pin molex connectors already installed, and a three pin connector from each to monitor rpm with, i had to modify them to plug into the three pin connector of the nexus. so, what i did was i removed the three prong connector from the end of the wire that was supposed to plug into the fan. then i cut the molex connectors off the fans, and connected the reds to the red on the nexus wire, and the black to the blacks. for RPM monitoring on the nexus, i cut the three pin connector off one of the fans, and then attached that yellow wire to the yellow wire of the wire supplied with the nexus. the rpm wire for the other fan i left plugged into the mobo, so progs such as MBM would still be able to monitor it. all worked good so far. the one problem im having thought is that i can't get my fans to run as fast as they did without the nexus. they are 6000RPM fans., but at max, they only run at about 4700. it is sufficient cooling, but i would like to get their full functionality if i ever needed it. i put the cpu probe on the green/brown (i forgot the color) board of the cpu around the core. i think i may have been better off putting it on the heat sink bottom because the nexus reads temps about 8C lower than MBM reads. so, if anyone has feedback or any ways to help me get my fans back to full speed, please post!!

thanks

--Eli
glad you are enjoying your new toy!!! not to rain on your parade but keep in mind these things....

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=155932

is the nexus model with LCD supposed to have the adapters? because that's the one i have.

yeah...i have the multifunction panel....anyone know why i can't get my full fan speed?

schott1984 said:
yeah...i have the multifunction panel....anyone know why i can't get my full fan speed?

The multifunction panel only goes from 2500-4600 rpms. If you want full control of the fan, I suggest a rheobus or rheostat.

The Nexus works pretty well for the price, but I get an annoying beep once in a while.

PhobMX said:

now thats one thing i didnt know... but its okay for me since i want good noise/performance ratio but still letting me sleep

Sorry, I was misinformed. I just looked at the booklet that came with the unit and it ranges from 5V-12V. My Smart Fan apparently just goes to 4650rpms@12V (rated 0.7a). Really have no idea why yours doesn't work at full speed.

Last edited:
Back