• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Prototype of internally cooled Hard Drive!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turando

Hi folks, thought i would liven up the modding forum;)

This is a first of many ventures into internally water cooling a Hard drive, obviously this will include LED's etc etc. but as i said, its a prototype;) managed to create a 5gb partition on this, but its a 6gb, so obviously this one wont last too too long as i had to have it open a bit for measuring and checking. ps. noone nick my ideas:p:p:)

PICS!!!

wtrcldhd1.jpg

wtrcldhd2.jpg

wtrcldhd3.jpg

Last edited:
Man.....I'm all excited...but your pics don't work.:cry:

Can't wait to see it. How did you do it? A little more info, or a tutorial on the front page would be awesome.

-CPFitz-

edit: Now you have the links.....but your website doesn't allow direct linking or whatever. And those popups are horrific, it tried to download gator on my comp at least 3 times.:eek: Try hosting them at www.theforumisdown.com

OK pics are fixed, and i know it doesent look like much, but its a start, will be many followups on this, i knocked this up in a few hours inbetween revision for tests 2moro;)

wtrcldhd4.jpg

wtrcldhd5.jpg

Cheers, Turando

Last edited:
They work now.

This is an incredible mod, even if the disk only works for a week. Take some pics with the lights off and the LEDs on!

You win.

cheers;) will take more pics when i have a bit of time on my hands;) this is pending a patent so hopefully noone can produce this kind of mod;)

Cheers, Turando

eaglescouter, it was more of a not been done as of yet, so why not;) also this did get very hot, and using a small fish tank pump and small tubing kept it very cool. ;) all questions are welcome.

CHeers, Turando

Just a thought, that pipe appears to be copper and hard drives appear to be magnetic disks.. is'nt this a sure fire way to data loss ?

i tried as much as i could to de-magnatise the copper, and it was totally resistant. wether it stays like that is another matter, thats the point of a prototype;)

Don't all the larger drives have two platters and multiple heads?
If so, I think you're running out of room....

Mad props for pulling that off though...:eek:

how does that cool its not acutally touching anything is it

Diggrr , in theory yes, but alot of the 120gb have single platters, this was pulled out of an old HP.

crash893, you dont have to have direct contact to cool, to cool well you do. the air that is around the plater does kind of convect as the friction from the head acts like a fan, so the air inside is being (theoretically) cooled;)

i am sure it would cool some... run cold water through there and the heat inside the drive transfers to the copper, into the water and out again, taking heat out. a little chem for ya there :D

i gotta give you props for a sweet idea... it's definitely new to me.

Turando said:
i tried as much as i could to de-magnatise the copper, and it was totally resistant. wether it stays like that is another matter, thats the point of a prototype;)

Copper is non ferrous. You don't have to worry about permanent magnetism.

oh right, thanks for clearing that up donny;) , BlueWraith :( i was waiting for that:( will re post them somewhere 2moro;)

Excellent work man. Very nice indeed.

If I may make a suggestion?

Now I realize this wouldnt be needed in all cases, but for those that do I was thinking of a way that you could approve above that.

First, dump the piping. Too little for too much area.

Next thing. I would check into doing a few things. Like for one say take a block of sorts, say kinda like the type they have that go on top (or under) the drive. Shrink it some. And make a channel to go in and out.
Add in some rouch surface area to the outside. Maybe even some very very small fins? Might help some...

This make sense?! LoL

i'd have to agree that you would need to dumb the pipe or rework it because with a higher capacity drive, you won't be able to fit it, cause like somebody else said, the platters take up all the space.

Back