• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual PSU.....kinda

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPFitz14

Well.....I ordered one of the $28.50 500w psu's and hear they may not be the best quality. Soooooooooooooo......:D

Would it be possible to use one power supply to power my fans, cd-rom, hdd, etc., and one PSU to power the mobo? Would both PSU's start up when I pushed the button on the front of the computer.

I'm terrible with this stuff, and don't know how to solder, so pretty much all of those guides in the sticky are out.:D

-CPFitz-

all you need to do is connect the green wire and a black wire to turn on the PSU that isn't connected to the mobo. then connect the fans,and etc to the other one and there you go. you can make a swich or just tiwist and untwist, but i recomend you learn how to solder it not hard at all. let me ask you this: would you start yourcar by twisting a wire? ~RCTG

Couldn't I just leave the wire there, twisted, and use the rocker switch on the back to turn it on?

Also, I don't have to worry about it being grounded/ungrounded, or whatever this is that i've been reading.:D

This is meant to be sort of last resort, and temporary, till I get them money. Will it be safe, and not a fire hazard?:D

-CPFitz-

Also....say you could have a "insert your dream car here" , and it was in your price range. Only catch is you have to start it by twisting a wire or two. Would you do it?

I would...then just fix it for a couple bucks later.:D

The dually is kinda like a dream car for me.:D

*bump*

See above.:D

So am I right? I can just do the paperclip trick, then plug both in like normal? No worries about fire hazards, grounding, etc?

-CPFitz-

well if your going to just tiwist make sure you get some good eletrical tape and wrap the connections in it. that way its stronger and safer. how are you going to keep the wire/swicth from falleing out of the ATX connector when its in the case? and where is the 2ed main power cord going to go in?~RCTG

PS: I wouldn't twist wires, i'd solder in a push on,push off swicth:D

I'm thinking of just keeping the second PSU outside of the case, and snaking the wires I need in through an unused pci cover thing(is there a technical term for these?:D)

So if I, or something, touches the paper clip, will I/it get zapped?

-CPFitz-

thanks for helping me with this by the way.:D

big problem (j/k)

ohhh i get it now, hope you have long egough wires. well idk but i'd use a short wire taped into place with just egough wire stripped out to connect the pins for safety~RCTG

ahh.....good plan. I'm an idiot for not thinking of that....:D. Hopefully none of this will be necessary...but I have a bad feeling about a 500w for $30, the more I think about it.

I'll definitely be using the 500w:D. The question is whether or not i'll need my 300w also. But....if its that you wanted.....it may be in the classifieds soon.

And otherwise....if you want a 500w, pick one up at www.buypcdirect.com $28.50 free shipping

-CPFitz-

well right now i start my computer by touching two wires together that is until i get me a switch where you have to have a key to turn it on. that way noone can keep getting in and changing my settings

let me know how ur 500w works out cuz thats a good deal if it works good , and if it doesnt if hookin up two like that works. hehe i am maxin out my 250w sparkle in my setup and i would love to lessen the load on that poor thing

Back