• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X-Windows Help please! Also some Cygwin help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MVPillman

Registered
I got a program called Cygwin because it is suppossed to emulate a Unix environment. I can't do anything in it that I can do under Unix at my University... how would I log in to my University using Cygwin on my computer? Would it be possible to install Linux on it as well?

Also, I downloaded a program called X-Win. It is suppossed to let me log into the Solaris Unix machines at my University, but it keeps on giving me some display error. I checked in the readme, and it said I needed to forward a certain port number, and so I did (I have a Linksys Router) forward to my PC. It still doesn't work. Does anyone know what to do to fix this problem? Thanks!

you might wanna asking in the alternative OS section :) those guys really know their stuff :)

cygwin, to my knowledge and experience in it, does not emulate *NIX per se. It provides an environment for running *NIX commands which is extremely useful for things like Perl Scripts (for example).

Now, this is fairly similar to the concept of the DOS subsystem. It is there, but you can't login using DOS. You can run DOS commands and Batch files using DOS commands, however, the functionality does not extend beyond that. Cygwin is very similar. Iti s not meant to transform your OS into a pseudo *NIX, it is meant to add functionality to your OS.

As far as logging into your university, you don't need Cygwin for that. You need an SSH client most likely. There are plenty of SSH clients for both windows and *NIX. On Windows you might want to look at one called Putty.

*nix stuff

I use terraterm pro and ttssh for SSH remote logins to my Linux workstation.

Back