• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some newbies questions....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ardent

This is my first build and I have all the things in needed to power up and see if it posts fine before I go on.....

However, I have a couple of silly questions I need answers to:

My case is a chieftec, and the 2 case fans I have in the rear have a male and female connector. Male connectors are plugged into females coming from the PSU, but what are the female connectors for?

Is it possible to use one of the these female connectors to plug in the male connector from my Volcano 9 HSF? Or does this have to go into the PSU as well?

Also, this case can take 2 intake fans in the front....looking at the connectors from the PSU it seems like I'm running out of connections?!?

Please allay my newbie paranoia with some help :D

Thanks in advance, Ardent

ardent said:
This is my first build and I have all the things in needed to power up and see if it posts fine before I go on.....

However, I have a couple of silly questions I need answers to:

My case is a chieftec, and the 2 case fans I have in the rear have a male and female connector. Male connectors are plugged into females coming from the PSU, but what are the female connectors for?

Is it possible to use one of the these female connectors to plug in the male connector from my Volcano 9 HSF? Or does this have to go into the PSU as well?

Also, this case can take 2 intake fans in the front....looking at the connectors from the PSU it seems like I'm running out of connections?!?

Please allay my newbie paranoia with some help :D

Thanks in advance, Ardent

Youv have your connector terminology reversed. What you call female is really male and vice-versa (hmmm. cyber-sex?):)

The male/female connectors on your fans allow you to daisy chain your power connectors so you wont use all your psu molexes on fans and have none left for drives, etc.

You can hook the female HSF fan connector to one of the case fan passthrus and it will work ok.

Hope this helps.
Al

Yes you can hook multi fans to 1 connector (molex) from the psu. I like to run my HSF on a connector by itself but it will work fine daisied in. If you are running short of connectors you can also buy Y connectors. SVC has a sale on em right now.

I wanted to run the HSF on its own but couldnt do that and have my window fan running it seemed....either that or its me :)

Now I have two spots for fans in the front of the case.... I am assuming its safe to use the additional connectors that hang off the cables going to the CDRW and HD Drives? Otherwise I am going to be having cables snaking all over the place! I can see myself taking this all apart and redoing all the wiring :p

Back