• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet Hard Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wimbo

Hi, i have sold my western digital special 80gig cuz it made an annoying high pitched sound, which drive (From 40-60gig) would you recommend getting for it to be quieter ?

I really want a quiter hard drive. Does Seagate make a 20GB Barracuda IV? I barely have my WD 15GB half full.

I don't know about anything as small as a 20gig. You may find a nice 30gigabyte drive, but I'm not sure.

They probably have a nice, cheap 40gig still.

I think the smallest around now is a 40gig, I have 2 80gig's and they are very quiet. Got a WD100 SP, thing makes a freakin racket compared to the Barracudas.

yeah i too have a seagate barracuda 7200 rpm not that i could here it over this 120v ac fan i have in my case.

Talk about a coincidence. Four hours later I find an unused OEM 7200 10GB Barracuda IV Ultra ATA/100 over in the classifieds $35.00 shipped. I did the research and Seagate doesn’t make them any longer. Now I’ll move my 15GB and 10GB 5400rpm WD’s over to slave status and only run them when I need storage and backing up. This will be perfect for my conservative needs. I getting faster, quieter. Saaweeet!

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like about the Barracuda V is that it runs about 4C hotter than 7200 RPM IBM and Maxtor drives (measurements done with thermometer, not built-in sensor, one Maxtor also had fluid bearing). But it's noticeably quieter, not only while idling and during seeks, but even the turn-on/turn-off clicks are quieter.

my barracuda IV runs at 42C which I would think acceptable as it aint broke yet :)

you can always get a Zalman PSU (or quietpc one) and a Zalman heatpipe passive heatsink for the graphics card too.

I could, but dont have the fundage - unless there was a secret offer somewhere in there :rolleyes:

I have a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 (damn long name) with the fluid bearing drive... Compared to my old drives, the thing is super quiet, plus its ultra ata133 and 8 meg cache....

Back