• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power supply with half of it's heatsinks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LittlePiggie

will a 250w psu run like that for long? I ask because I have no cash for a rackmount and I need a short psu.I can't bend them without taking them off, and they are screwed on to the mosfets, and one screw is block by a transformer. I'm going to have good airflow over the sinks.

----
It is possible ..

I have hacksawed the heatsinks down on one of my
computers. (the one to the left- in the pic).

I am an electronic engineer (no - honestly)

You have to be very careful.

I was able to augment the shortened sinks by
using thermal adhesive and a large sheet of copper
within the case.

If you want any more detailed information -
just ask :))

I was thinking of cutting the heatsinks off in the middle and drilling holes in them and relocating them at a right angle to the base. would this work if I had good contact at the joint? it seems like it would, but the opinion of a pro is always good ;).

Are you including the heatsink for those high voltage transistors, the ones rated for 700 volts and that are bolted to a heatsink that may have 170 VDC riding on it? Are you sure that you want to mess with that?

Wouldn't it be easier to unsolder the heatsinks and everything attached to them and do the modifications with everything removed from the PSU? Unsoldering all that stuff isn't really difficult, but you do want to use copper desoldering braid.

the answer to that question is probably yes...but not how I just did it.

I resoldered everything, checked it, double checked it, and triple checked it. Looked athe it again, made suret he wires were right. I plugged it in, hooked it up, crossed my fingers, and flipped the switch.

It went well for the first half second, then I heard a POP POPOPOP POP and a puff of smoke came out of one of the transistors. only one though. I think I'll get a replacement for it and try again. I almost had it. I think I can get it to work.

Back