• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9700 pro real big pos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cicotte

well this is my first ati card by the way am not a nvfanboy i had a ti4400 before no shimmers no ugly skybox Smooth gameplay. am also a big quake 3 player so bying the 9700 pro did not turn out good for me at all shure it has lots of power but i get really anoying shimmering playing quake 3, and them dam skybox lines are very Annoying. this problem is on going and has never bin fixed so all in all not pleased spending 600$canadian for a card and i cant even enjoy playing my favorite game.am using the cat 3.0a drivers. and a freash install of xp pro.and yes i have tried the omegas same bs.

i preferabley like the 2.5 cat drivers...they were better in my opinion...they will fix this prob don't worry...and Q3 didn't increase that much in framerates...you can't notice framerates when they are well over 50...

sorry you didn't like your ATI card...but I prefer them over NVidia, as I have owned both

LOL, overclocker550, again where do you come up with this stuff? I have used both, and both are equaly good as far as drivers go in my opinion. as long as i have adriver that works, thats fine by me, i really could care less if it gets me another 100 points in 3d mark. lol. as long as it is stable its fine, and so far my ATI drivers have been rock solid. Not to metion my 9700 is by far the best card i have ever owned. so why dont you stop being a fan boy and just buy an ati card and see for yourself how good the cards are before you post stupid comments. oh and by the looks of your sig you have a lot to learn about overclocking as well, i have yet to kill a SINGLE processor.

jeez, every friggin video card post has to turn intoa flame thread at some point or another :rolleyes:

Sorry you didn't much outa your card cicotte, maybe you should post in the ATI forum and see if you can get more help

well i just wish ati would get there drivers strait already you shouldent have to wait a year after you by your card to get the drivers working properly and play some games by the time ati gets there drivers working the card is outdated.other wize the card is a monster and the qraffics are an improvment over the ti4400 but ati is killing it because of there drivers. enybody know what the hell is up whith that stupid quake3 skybox thing and ati cards this is very Annoying.

Overclocker550 said:
ATIs drivers will never compare to Nvidia's

Are you a programmer? Can you back this statement with any useful insight on ATi's driver coding deficiencies vis-a-vis Nvidia? If you're not a programmer, do you have any statistical data on greater failure rates or bugs that arise because of ATi driver implementation? My guess is that the answer to both questions is a resounding "no" and that you're making your statement based purely on anecdotal "evidence" that you've scavenged from the web. My suggestion to you: get off the fanbus immediately because so far, it seems that you're on a one way ride to spamsville.

And no Overclocker550, this is not a spiteful flame simply coming out of leftfield: I have seen the garbage you've posted in this forum time and time again. Frankly, I'm fed up with it.

Sorry bout this thread fer ya cicotte. To all the flamers in here please read the forum rules and guidelines against flaming.

As for your driver problem, which I certainly think it is one, You just need diferent drivers, or maybe there was a problem during the instalation, like anti-virus software running during instal, that cna and does mess stuff up. Also if you didn't reformat after installing the new card the drivers from the old card still reside on your old system and could be responsible for causing this problem.

none of these are sure fire solutions, but just possible ones you might try: reformating, installnig w/o and anti-virus software enabled(card and game), trying diferent drivers.

i know that is the best to reformat every time yo put a new card but in my current win xp (no time for reformat lately) i have installed a nvidia card, a voodoo banshee and two ATIs (7500/8500) and they all worked fine without rf., yes maybe i could get a higher score in 3dm if i reformat but i don´t have any problem with games with any of the changes, but i have to agree, try another drivers, even the omega ones.

Ps: to all who take the time to respond to that trained monkey (you all know who i´m referring to, right?) just correct him with a plain answer, don´t waste your time trying to make him understand, he doesn´t want to, just make sure that he doesn´t give bad info for others.

cicotte said:
well this is my first ati card by the way am not a nvfanboy i had a ti4400 before no shimmers no ugly skybox Smooth gameplay. am also a big quake 3 player so bying the 9700 pro did not turn out good for me at all shure it has lots of power but i get really anoying shimmering playing quake 3, and them dam skybox lines are very Annoying. this problem is on going and has never bin fixed so all in all not pleased spending 600$canadian for a card and i cant even enjoy playing my favorite game.am using the cat 3.0a drivers. and a freash install of xp pro.and yes i have tried the omegas same bs.

If anyone even read his carefully, hes having problems on the latest cat3 drivers and a fresh install of windows. This speaks volumes :mad:

Re: Re: 9700 pro real big pos

Overclocker550 said:

If anyone even read his carefully, hes having problems on the latest cat3 drivers and a fresh install of windows. This speaks volumes :mad:

All it says is that cicotte is having some problems on his particular setup with his Radeon 9700. Is it hardware or software caused? Even that question is hardly answered thus far. Even if it is determined that the drivers are at fault, one user's bad experiences hardly constitutes a blanket statement on the drivers overall.

Re: Re: 9700 pro real big pos

Overclocker550 said:

im not flaming but here is some good advice, if you cannot give advice that actually HELPS the person in questions without saying "screw that buy this card instead", then dont post in that thread, all it does is encourage flam wars.....

Re: Re: Re: 9700 pro real big pos

funnyperson1 said:

im not flaming but here is some good advice, if you cannot give advice that actually HELPS the person in questions without saying "screw that buy this card instead", then dont post in that thread, all it does is encourage flam wars.....
:clap: :clap: :clap: :beer:

Well I hate Canadians (you can thank Shawn Michaels for that), but I also have an All-In-Wonder 7500 in the living room and would seriously consider another All-In-Wonder to replace my 4200 when it finally starts to show it's age.

Anyway, back to the post. You might try several things here. The first of which would be to make sure your game is patched to the current version, since this seems to be a problem with just Q3. You might make sure you don't have Quincux(sp?) AA set in the Q3 options, if it's available, since that is a Nvidia only setting.

You might try downgrading your drivers. I've often found that with Nvidia and ATI, the latest or best 3D Marking drivers aren't always the most stable or the most error free.

Uninstall the drivers, set the computer to defaults, and then install the drivers, play the game at default speeds and see if it is ocing related.

I noticed in your sig your 9700 is water cooled, you might want to double check the cooling to make sure the GPU isn't overheating.

I don't know how tweakable the 9700 drivers are, but you might want to make sure it isn't trying to force an AA or AF setting the game doesn't support.

Finally, and I know you've had to have done this already, have you installed a refresh rate fix yet?

ya am using refreash force and my thermal reads 27c so no heat problems here i thingk i would have better luck going back to dx 8.1 and the cat 2.5 drivers. i here this is a safe combo it seems am not the only one haveing this problem checking on other forums dx9 and cat 3.0 are causing sum ogl shimmers and the omegas and the cat 3.0a's were to fix this but it is still there mabee not as bad but still present. running xp pro and the system is very clean only formated week ago but i cant wait for ati to fix this all i need is smooth game play and am rocken. just kida ****es me off that i had a great card the ti4400 and went and spent another 600 on the radeon and am having these problems. hopfully it all pans out soon and i can injoy what the radeon has to offer me.

Back