• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bit of a problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

james.miller

a friend of mine tried to install his new slk-800 on his athlon and chipped the core in the process. result: on dead pc.

Well, the drive that was in the pc (a maxtor 40gb) had he girlfriends coursework for uni on it, which needs to be handed in on monday.
so far i have tried:
1) having no spare cpu, i took the hdd out and put it in my pc as a slave to try to pull the data off - no luck. bios recongnised it, but windows doesnt. i tried to install the drive with the add hardware wizard, but that said the drive was there and working fine (even though i cant access it)

2) So, i tried to boot from it (his pc is near identical to mine - same mobo and processor). no luck there either. i get a bsod telling me the regestry is corrupt.

3) tried booting in safe mode.no luck, just crashes.

4) tried to reinstall windows on the partition without formating.No luck - the installer told me that it didnt recognise the partition.

what can i do, short of formatting the drive (which really doesnt help at all) to get into this drive??

thanks for the help

U might need to get Partion Magic to try recover the Partition....

But clarify.....is the HDD u are trying to install got NTFS and ur machine as like Windows 98 maybe??? or it all WIndows XP with the NTFS??

sorry for the confusion lol

right:

both my drive (working) and the drive with the problems are formatted with ntfs and have winXP pro on them

OK, if you have a bootable copy of XP you can start it up just like a normal install and use the Repair Option to see if it will recognize and repair the partition. I would recommend you first try the automatic option since it's unlikely you made a repair disk before things went south.

If that fails or XP is unable to recognize the partition, you can then reboot with the install CD let it get to the Install/Repair options screen again and use the Recovery Console. I believe you'll need to know the Drive Label and Administrator password to use this function, but if you are able to access the Console, you can then try either or both the FIXBOOT and FIXMBR commands to see if you can unhose the damage to the registry. Good luck and I hope you're successful.

23skidoo said:
OK, if you have a bootable copy of XP you can start it up just like a normal install and use the Repair Option to see if it will recognize and repair the partition. I would recommend you first try the automatic option since it's unlikely you made a repair disk before things went south.

If that fails or XP is unable to recognize the partition, you can then reboot with the install CD let it get to the Install/Repair options screen again and use the Recovery Console. I believe you'll need to know the Drive Label and Administrator password to use this function, but if you are able to access the Console, you can then try either or both the FIXBOOT and FIXMBR commands to see if you can unhose the damage to the registry. Good luck and I hope you're successful.

as far is the winXP cd goes, ive tried everything except the recovery console - im off to try fixboot and fixmbr now..
thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it:)

no luck there.
this time it boots further. I get a screen telling me that autochk is missing and will be skipped, and then get a BSOD. error ch0000a8 i think (i knew i should have wrote it down lol)

why dont you pull your processor out and put it in his computer? seems like that should work.

no that wouldnt - we both had aXP (mine was an 1800 and his was a 2000). it was somethiung on the hdd that was causing it

got it sorted in the end anyway lol

Back