• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Increasing fan speed? - Antec True PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FACTION95Si

I have an Antec True Power 550. Is there anyway that I can get it to run the fans faster? There is very little air being pushed out of it.:mad:

Don't know how to speed it up. You could just attach a 3rd fan to the back of it to push more air through... just a thought.

My Antec SmartPower has a thermistor mounted on the circuit board. It's a green bead labelled "RTH2" and is close to the heatsink but doesn't touch it. By bending it over slightly so it touched the heatsink and by applying epoxy as a heat conductant, I was able to make the fan run faster. Another thing you could try is connect a resistor across the thermistor to make it seem like the temperature is hotter than it really is, and there are some resistors near the thermistors that can be change in values to change the voltage. There may be a small transistor or a TL431 shunt regulator that looks like a transistor, only the circuit board is labelled Uxxx next to it, not Qxxx.

faction can u provide a picture of the inside of the truepower. I'm interested in this too, maybe my electronics knowlage could ne useful.
If you don't want to break the worrentie thats ok.

Hmmm...

I don't want to void the warranty because I paid $100+ for the freakin thing.

But I might just crack it open and connect the fans to manually to run full speed.

I wonder if anyone publishes schematics of various power supplies? sometimes it would be nice to have one. Like when it quits working and you would like to fix it or modify it in some way.

The only schematics I've found are at:

www.technik.net (under "Circuits" - old AT and an ATX PSU)

http://pavouk.comp.cz (schematic of 200W ATX PSU, w/ description)

http://www.nutsvolts.com/PDF_Files/PSRepair.pdf (AT only, but maybe useful for repairs)

www.sg.com.tw/e-sg6105.asp (describes a chip used in some cheap ATX PSUs, gives schematic)

Any more?

I think that the only practical repair is replacement of capacitors, diodes, and transistors. The latter two can usually be found with just an ohm meter, but capacitors may test fine except with an ESR meter.

Ok, i found the controller. look here at the first and last pic. also it is explaned on the next page. I did a test on my True480 and found that at 32C the fan RPM was at 1400. The temp senser was placed on the regulators HS. Any one have any ideas on what to do?

I did it!

Thanks pby5cat for posting the pictures of the inside of the PSU. I studied the pictures and figured out how the fans were wired.
psumod.jpg

I pulled the plug thats right in the front of the picture. Its what the two fans are connected to. I cut the end plug off and extended the wires out of the PSU to my Nexus Fan Controller. It was really easy. It only took me about 20 minutes from start to finish. Now I can control both fans in the PSU from my fan controller. Right now its pushing out WAAAAAAY more air than it used to. According to MBM5 the max RPMs for the 80MM exhaust fan are about 3125rpms. Ive got it running at about 2800rpms. Any faster than that and the fans start to get loud. Before when it was at 1500rpms I could barely tell if it was pushing any air out at all. I can't be totally certain but I think my motherboard temps have gone down a degree or two as well.

Thumbs up on this little PSU modification!

Hmm, would the wiring and such be the same in a 550 as in a 430(what i have)?

Im thinking of getting a nexus soon, and that seems really
tempting once i get it :D

Thanks for tellin us what ya did.....this is a relleh n00b question but....you needed to solder the wires to some more wire after u clipped the ends of right? Sorry, i know next to nothing on electrical stuff :(

I imagine the wiring would be same in a 430. Its the wires going to the fans that you need to deal with. I didn't solder the extra wire that runs from the fan wires to the fan controller. I crimped it on with wire connectors instead. I'm not that good at soldering and I didn't want solder to get on the PSU. The Nexus fan controller comes with extension wires and connectors so I used one of those and it worked perfectly.

Back