• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer restarts on its own.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AzzKickerG1

Registered
Hey guys, I have an Asus A7V133. for some reason my computer likes to restart on its own. It only happens when I do some kind of multitasking. Or almost always happens when I'm trying to play Unreal Tournament on My LAN. do you think its a Network problem. Or a problem within the game.

That is a 100% heat problem-did you mess with the HSF any at all lately-i messed with mine and when i was multitasking or doing any hard work like drag and drop 500+meg files id restart-due to heat-i pointed a 90mm sunon ath the back of the chip-opposite of the HS and never rebooted since-used to reboot every 20 mins or so after the heat would bulld up-almost gaurenteed to be from the HEat!!!

Yeah my m8's MSI board did that but he found out his heatsink/fan was on the wrong way and in the end he popped his amd 1gig :))
spontanious restarts when putting a load on the cpu.Def heat prob

Its not that. My temps are around 38-40 when playing UT. Just today I was surfing the web and listening to Winamp and it happend.

Sounds like a power supply problem to me. What are your voltage lines, if they have droped down below what theyr supposed to be that could very well cause your problem. I would know mine does the same thing. 350w enermax on the way :)

Can I connect 2 power supply's together. I have a 300 Watt in my current system and another 250W laying around.

AzzKickerG1 (Apr 14, 2001 12:19 p.m.):
Hey guys, I have an Asus A7V133. for some reason my computer likes to restart on its own. It only happens when I do some kind of multitasking. Or almost always happens when I'm trying to play Unreal Tournament on My LAN. do you think its a Network problem. Or a problem within the game.

Do you have it overclocked at all? That could be the problem. You might have the FSB up too high or the Multiplier up too high or something. If you've overclocked, try lowering your chip back to stock and see if that helps.

today while checking Asus Probe. my +5 volt meter went down massivly and back up in a perioud of like 2-4 seconds. My comp didnt restart when this happened though. WHat is the +5volt for.

AzzKickerG1 (Apr 15, 2001 05:10 p.m.):
Its not that. My temps are around 38-40 when playing UT. Just today I was surfing the web and listening to Winamp and it happend.

Mine does the same when I get to 150fsb. It only resets after playing Q3 and I suspect it is heat. Raising the voltage makes it more unstable. I think that its a heat issue even though the board resets at only 34 C because the temp sensor on the epox 8kta3 being board mounted and not touching the chip. I added a 300w to my 250w and it still happens. As soon as I'm done with my water block I'll find out if its heat or something else. Right now I have a volcano ii.

i have the same problem with the last two set ups i've had. i don't think it's a heat issue either since i monitor this. what os are you running per chance?

I would disagree with the people who think that it is not a temperature prob. It could be that your chipset is getting too hot this could cause the computer to restart as the resistance would go up. Good luck

But again, I'm running at a 38-40 degrees tops when doing heavy loads. I even kept a log of the temps when playing UT etc. it is not heat related. I practically have a damn A/C Window united pointed at the mobo. My comp is as airy as possible. I'm runnin Win98. Do you think I should move to Win2K. Again, it doesnt happen all the time. In Fact now it just locks up. I'll be playing winamp and the song just locks up playing the last not over and over and over and I have to restart. I have a feeling its my HD. but this thing is brand new.

AzzKickerG1 (Apr 15, 2001 07:33 p.m.):
Can I connect 2 power supply's together. I have a 300 Watt in my current system and another 250W laying around.

Yes ----> http://www.burning-issues.co.uk/how_to/power/psu.htm
But i don't think that it will solve your prob.
I had (may still have)that prob also, and found that it had nothing to do with my box.
It happened to both boxes at the same time (My P2B never did this before and i'm using it for about 2 years).
With my P3V4X i had this problem 4 or 5 times (so far, i'm using it almost 1 year) but it did that running at default setting as well as O/Ced.

PS:It started to happen since i've moved,could be the electric wiring in my new home.
(these probs are hard to solve since they don't happen all the time)

definitely a psu problem... i had the same prob occur, whenever i used a CD drive... tied my 2 psu's together

SharkyTM

Man-that is a HEAT problem-maybe it does have to do with the PSU, if it was a FSB too high it would lock up-not reboot. Reboots are when the mobo shuts off the computer to save its own life-there is a reason that you can set an "ALARM" temp in Motherboard Monitor-its the same just a default setting-too hot it reboots.

Do you guys not read when I say my temps are 38-40ºC. Its not a heat problem. It has to do with Electricity. It hasnt happend so far, i put back Win2K. but I doubt it was the OS.

Back