• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RnPgrosz

I jujst got the 8RDA and I was wondering if it uses On-die or Insocket Thermistor. Thanks

I was wondering this too, bc I didnt notice anything in the socket that resembled a thermistor. If anyone has solid info about this, let us know.

plague said:
I was wondering this too, bc I didnt notice anything in the socket that resembled a thermistor. If anyone has solid info about this, let us know.

Well, I just got everything set up and the temps seem pretty low(22-23C) so I'm guessing it uses the Insocket thermistor.

Also, in the BIOS the only FSB options I'm seeing are 100, 133 and 166 FSB. Do I need to flash the new one to get more options?

You have to be in the expert mode to see all the options in the bios. as far as Temperatures I noticed that the bios T is always 5 degrees higher that the probe I have that is kind of buried in the core of the water block, that makes me think that their thermistor is very accurate and probably in the socket....

It has Both On-die and socket. The socket is where all readings are taken from, usdm, mdm5, magic, and bios. The On-die is used for "shutdown temps" internally and cannot be read.

plague, did you get your 2100 and what week did you get? 0246, 0250, or 0301?

mata2974 said:
You have to be in the expert mode to see all the options in the bios. as far as Temperatures I noticed that the bios T is always 5 degrees higher that the probe I have that is kind of buried in the core of the water block, that makes me think that their thermistor is very accurate and probably in the socket....

Where is the expert mode option?

But unless they designed some new thermistor, I couldn't find anything in the socket. At least nothing that looked like the old ones - that big blue thing stickin up in the socket of my 8KHA+. Plus the fact that my temps seemed really high, even with water I was getting close to 50C overclocked(until I made a sweet duct to the window). This all made me believe it read the on-die temp.

BTank - I got a week 48, it's doin 2430 solid as a rock, I just can't seem to hit 2.5, I probably need 2v to do it - just havent tried that yet.

8RDA/+ has in socket temp sensor. <--- very stupid decision made by Epox marketing department as on diode temp sensor freak up alot of ppl and created RMA nightmares.

he means the Expert mode under Advanced Chipset Features in the bios. System Performance at the top - change it to Expert and the 100, 133, 166 disappears and you get 1mhz increments to 250. 4th one down, the CPU Interface, i use OPTIMAL, not Expert.
The first bios had 100,133,166 only. that would be the only exception and would just require a flash of the latest bios. it's hard to remember and i'm d/ling so can't check it, but you get the idea.

plague, my bad, i meant 0248. i was hoping you got that one. i jumped same time as you :). i only hit 2500 by switching to h20 and i had to use 1.875vCore, 1.7v agp, 2.77 vdimm. i think i had to go 2.9 vdimm over 2480. anything under even one of these and no go, in fact, any fsb over 200 and i have to use the above settings. if i even go to 1.6v agp, i'm done! i WAS going to say don't bother, but, sure you're not going to see what your toy can do, right. lol. i run at 12x200, but i even may go to 166 or 180fsb to get agp and vCore down. well... the technician said it IS a newly designed thermister. it's buried in the plastic itself in about the same place but it links with a trace to pin from the chip.

The 8RDA+ and 8RDA report temps from a pin within the socket. It's not accurate, can not be trusted. No sensor below the CPU and no ON DIE temps.

you guys are makin me think somethings either wring on my board, or that my waterblock isnt mounted right.. bc mbm was reading close to 50C before i ducted cold air to my radiator. But if it reads the temp in the pins and is therefore low.. i'm a little worried.

plague, you might mount your waterblock badly. I had my CPU temp and ambient difference up to 18c until I remount my Water Block again and start active cooling my mosfets. Now my CPU temp when loaded is within 12c of ambient temp.

mem5.jpg

Back