• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wtf, IE crashes ....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minoukat

... on some pages, like AMD's homepage, IE just plain crashes, gives me a "blahblah has performed an illegal operation and will now be closed" error, whatever, ... Now this is ****ing me off, cuz I can't get to their download section using IE, and I'm not in the mood to destroy my comp with Netscape today. Fixes, anything ? Running Win2k SP3 with most patches installed, still MP6.4 (basic version from Win2k, whatever the version itself is), with IE5.0. Please help :(

Are you overclocked? IE always gave me stupid errors like that when I was overclocked and not feeding my processor enough.

You could also move to IE6. It won't hurt you.

nope, not oced or anyting. and I'm using IE5 cuz it's faster (scrolls faster with the wheelmouse, loads faster, less fluff, ...)

Plus IE 5.5 and up doesn't like Media Player earlier than 7. Windows Media Player 7 is in the running for slowest loading, most bloated piece of crap ever put out by Microsoft. And that's saying something.

I made the mistake of "upgrading" to IE 5.5 on my K6-2, and ended up getting Media Player 7 so everything would be all happy. Fortunately, Media Slayer 7 doesn't actually replace the old "Mplayer2.exe," which I already had in my "send to" menu.

Win2K comes with WMP 6.4.9.1121, which has some enhancements over the version that shipped with 98SE. Indeed, in my not-too-humble-at-this-moment-because-I-hate-WMP7 opinion, it's the best version of Media Player that there ever will be.

OK, /rant off. Thank you for your time.

Oh yeah, you had a problem. Unfortunately, I don't know what to tell you. I have IE 5.00.whatever that came with Win2K as well, and AMD's site has yet to crash it. With IE 5.5 on my K6, there's one page that graphically corrupts very badly the instant I scroll, and gets worse the more I scroll. Such browser voodoo defies explanation, especially since the site with that page is filled with similar pages that are fine. The page will be updated... and keep messing up. HTML is weird, I guess.

Last edited:
Master Mitch said:
Oh yeah, you had a problem. Unfortunately, I don't know what to tell you. I have IE 5.00.whatever that came with Win2K as well, and AMD's site has yet to crash it. With IE 5.5 on my K6, there's one page that graphically corrupts very badly the instant I scroll, and gets worse the more I scroll. Such browser voodoo defies explanation, especially since the site with that page is filled with similar pages that are fine. The page will be updated... and keep messing up. HTML is weird, I guess.

Yeah, had this problem too once, with IE4.0 (stayed with it when I had Win98 for the same reason that I'm staying with IE5.0 ;)) ended up reformatting and installing 98SE afterwards (which upgraded it to IE5.0), so maybe you should try updating to IE6 (sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't .... MS programs are weird ;))

Hmmm...

I just updated to Internet Explorer Version 6.00.2800.1106 sp1 and I still have WMP 6.4.09.1121. Belarc Advisor has no other WPM listings.

have you tryed to repair it?........you can go to add/remove programs in control panel high light it and click remove and then click repair.....hope this helps

Back