• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Celeron 1.1Ghz fcpga2’s help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
I need more information on the “GA-6VTXD” like 1 can I use 2 Celeron 1.1Ghz fcpga2’s with it, and if so do I have too unlock the chips to do it and how to also? How well dose this motherboard overclock. Any help would be good and thanks (PS I intend to make this system fully submerged in mineral oil :p with a fridge / chiller cooling the tank)

No Celeron past the PPGA 533MHz can be used in dual configurations. Can't say I really know anything about the board.

Yeah, you can't unlock celerons in any way, and they won't run in SMP.

Also, look out for certain P3's. Not all Tualatin P3's will run in SMP, only approved ones. If you do get them, be SURE they say they will run in dual mode. All coppermine P3's will run in SMP, though.

the only tully that will run in dual mode according to Intel is the ones with the 512k l2 cache, but i have seen stock cellrys over 700mhz run in dully setups fine, but you take your chances with the cellrys because they are not certified to run dual, and most of them have the smp pard of the chip burned out at the factorys, now i know some will slip throught but not that many.

a good sight for SMP info is www.2cpu.com right now thier forums are mess up from the worm, i dont know if they have it or if they are just affected by it, ie thier hosters have it or what not, but there forums get tons of trafic and it is almost only on dully and quads setup, they are the ones to ask most dually questions.

thank you guys, I had a extra cpu 1.1 celery and needed to do something with it. I think I will just go with a good solo bord

All coppermine P3's will run in SMP, though.

That's not quite true. All coppermine SLOT-1 P3's will run in SMP but not all coppermine FCPGA P3's will. This is where the stepping comes into play. If you read through Intel's processor spec documentation you'll see that specific steppings of processors are identified as SMP capable.

dagamore said:
...i have seen stock cellrys over 700mhz run in dully setups fine, but you take your chances with the cellrys because they are not certified to run dual, and most of them have the smp pard of the chip burned out at the factorys, now i know some will slip throught but not that many.

Umm, what kind of crack are you on because it's obviously the good stuff... :rolleyes:

I have NOT EVER seen a dual Coppermine Celeron setup running anywhere or seen anyone ever substantiate claims that they have one running. That includes over at 2CPU...

Me either. It can't be done. SMP was neutered in the Celeries after 533 and the PIII based 533 Celerons. Maybe if you got super stupid lucky and got two Engineer Samples, that's about the only way your going to do it.

FlypSyde said:

"All coppermine SLOT-1 P3's will run in SMP but not all coppermine FCPGA P3's will.

Ahhh, SLOT1 - the way CPUs were meant to be, but alas, they've reverted to their primitive, sharp, pinlike form. ;)

Skiing Squirrel said:
So, its garenteed if i get a chip with 512K of cache, it will run in dual?

I believe so, because a 512k cache chip is a full fledged P3-S, which are the only Tualatins that run in SMP. They're ungodly expensive though. There's a reason we kinda gently push people who don't have (or don't feel like spending) wads of cash on a duallie to the MPX platform. Total cost of ownership is less and the performance difference is substantial between dual P3 and dual Athlon.

Back