• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver 3 Tips and Tricks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toxicrain

I just ordered AS3 from svcompucycle.com (5$ shipped, hehe). I also ordered SLK-800 along with a mechtronics fan from coolerguys.com (will be receiving soon).

I remember reading the forums a little while ago, and someone mentioning that the procedure for putting on AS3 is not exactly the same as regular thermal compound. To get maximum performance, there was quite a few things to do.

Can anyone give me some tips for putting on AS3 to get it's full potential? I'm not gonna apply it until I receive my new HS and fan :) Thanks in advance.

There are instructions on the articsilver.com web site.

But as for important thing to do. After you put some on your hs put your hand in a plastic glove or zip-lock bag or something. THen rub in the AS3 into your heatsink, wipe the excess.

The 2nd important part I think is getting a fairly smooth layer on the die. Just use a good "troul" like a creditcard or anything that is clean and straight/flat and get the layer as smooth as you can.

As for how much of a layer to put on the die I really dunno. How think do most of you guys put it on?

i rip a piece of plastic from a plastic bag, tightly wrap it around my index finger and apply a very small amount to the cpu core. i spread a VERY thin layer on the core. what Death said about applying some to the hs is correct too. it is what is called 'wetting' the hs. that layer has to be alot thinner and basically less than translucent (spelling).
this works for me.

rustymaitland's method is how I do it- it's always worked great for me doing it like that.

Does AS3 help to overclock GPU higher for video cards?

Compared to no thermal paste at all, yes! Compared to the cheap white thermal paste- eh, probably not. AS3 is good, but it's not the 10 degree difference over generic pasts that some people claim.

Unless you have a crap *** heatsink, you will see little or no benefit. There is not reason not to use it (unless you are very clumsy, since arctic silver IS capacitive and if it shorts traces, et cetera, it WILL hurt them.).

Yes that is bad, because particles on your skin can come off and get in the AC3.

Plus it wont come off your finger easily.

Your fingers will contaminate the area with oil and dead skin cells. This will decrease thermal conductivity significantly.

I use a business card to spread it over the core thin layer,I have never put it on the HS but I am going to give it a try.

might be better off with the plastic card since the edge (especially) of a paper business card has a lot of loose fibers that may end up in your thermal junction.

PatrickBateman said:
might be better off with the plastic card since the edge (especially) of a paper business card has a lot of loose fibers that may end up in your thermal junction.

That could very well happen;)

all i do use a plastic bag, ziplock bag works great. I usually add as3 to the heatsink then rub it in the wipe it clean in a couple of seconds.

do ya'll just wipe the excess w/ the bag-on-finger until there's nothing left on the HS? and do you use rubbing alcohol or another substance?

I've applied AS3 and AS2 a few times both ways, credit card and plastic baggie, and I've found the plastic baggie is easier, faster and gets the same results.

Whats this? You guys use your fingers, wrapped in plastic, to apply as3 to the core???

How do you get it flat? And how do you achieve the thickness you want? And exactly how thick do you make it with this technique?

for applying it to the heatsink as it says in the instructions i use my finger, but with the core i take the blade out of a pencil sharpener and make a nice even layer over the core.

Back