• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northwood P4s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steeven_steeven

is the Northwood P4 1.8A 0.13microns?
is the Northwood P4 2.0A a lot better or a litle better for overclocking and performance than the P4 1.8A?

all northwoods are .13...as for overclocking from what i hear those 1.8a's are pretty hard to come by and awfully good for overclocking...

Actually, the 1.8a is easy to find, it's the C1 stepping that is still hard to locate, but they should be more plentiful as time goes on. As far as the 1.8a vs. the 2.0a, they will on average overclock to about the same final speed, but the 1.8a will have a higher FSB and is a little cheaper, so the 1.8a will give you a better bang for the buck.

To tell if your CPU is a C1 or BO you can use a program named SiSoft Sandra. There is a module in the program named CPU/BIOS Information and it will tell you what stepping your CPU is. BTW I know the 1.8A are good overclockers but I haven't heard anything good about the 2.0A. I think the mutiplier is too high on them or something.

This is what Sandra gives you when you use the module...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SiSoftware Sandra

Processor(s)
Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz
Co-Processor (FPU) : Built-in
Speed : 2.80GHz
Performance Rating : PR3079 (estimated)
Type : Standard
Packaging : FC µPGA478
Rated Speed/FSB : 1600MHz / 4x 100MHz
Multiplier : 16x
Generation : 7th (7x86)
Model Information : P4N (Northwood) Pentium 4 1.6-3G 1.5-1.6V
Revision/Stepping : 2 / 4 (9)
Stepping Mask : B0
Microcode : MU0F240B
Core Voltage Rating : 1.500V

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stepping Mask is what you're looking for. My 1.6A is a BO but I don't think they put out C1 1.6A's. You can download a free version of Sandra just search for it online.

The newer C1 steppings use a 1.525 vcore default and they are designed to run cooler than the BO stepping. All in all I've just heard that the C1 steppings are better overclockers and most of them hit 3 ghz.

Back