• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"bootable" cd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PLtNmHeLiX

I have a supposibly boottable Windows XP Home disk but when I set the CDrom as first boot device in Bios all I get during the boot process is : Boot From CD -for a second or so and then XP (one installed) continues to load.
Does my CD-ROM drive have to be compatible or somthing?

Also a quick Q- In the boot menu, what does LS-120(something like that) stand for?

there's a couple things you need to have to get a bootable CD working:

-set the first boot device to CDROM, like you did.
-set "Boot other device" to Enable. Your option may be named different.
-have a bootable CD and a drive that supports booting, of course.

You may also have to have it as master drive of it's channel. A guy told me about this drive he had that would only boot if it was Master of channel one. But I don't know if I believe that.

LS-120 is the setting for that type of drive, also called a "Superdrive". It was a special drive that could read & write regular 1.44MB floppies, as well as 120MB superdisks. They weren't very popular and hardly anybody has one, but for some reason BIOS support for it lives on.

With mine, you have to hit a key when it's displaying "boot from cd", otherwise it will continue with the boot order (harddrives being next on the list).

Back