• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ludio

I may be interested in folding when I fully get my system up and running. Would like to know. How does it affect the overall performance of the system, simple put does it slow the system down or does it run normally while performing its dedicated task. It would be nice to do this cuz I do volunteer work on Friday and Sunday evening working with elderly alzheimer patients and seeing them every week, and them not knowing who I am is strange, and sad.

EDIT: Must you be online 24/7 or do your scores get reported everytime you sign on if you had it running while off?

Last edited:
Welcome to the team!!!!! :D Folding does not slow down your computer in the least, it only uses SPARE processing power, and readily releases whatever needs to be used over to the programs that need to use it. And no you dont need to be online 24/7, you can configure it to ask you to connect when it needs to access stanfords servers to send/get work units.

Well, to answer your first question on how to, check out this sticky :)

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108580

Read all of that information....read it read it read it :)

Now, about if it affects overall performance

The folding client will only use up the remaining juice of your processor, so if it is using 95%, and something needs 10%, it will go down to like 85% and the app that requested the juice will get what it needs.

The client only uses what you are not using

And statwise, once you download a new work unit, most of the time unless there is something wrong with the server (it happens every now and then =\) your stats will be sent, and when ur folding, or not if u have sent the wu's to the server, it will update i think usually around 10 minuts.....

Ahh yes, if you have any IRC clients come by #ocfoldingteam on irc.zirc.org

:)

Welcome to the Fold :)

Brian

bubba gump said:
And statwise, once you download a new work unit, most of the time unless there is something wrong with the server (it happens every now and then =\) your stats will be sent, and when ur folding, or not if u have sent the wu's to the server, it will update i think usually around 10 minuts.....

Uhhhh ... is anyone else confused? Sorry Bubba - you lost me.

I think what you're trying to say is:

No, you do NOT have to be connected to 'Net 24/7. The folding client will prompt you to connect. When you connect, it sends the completed data to Stanford and downloads fresh data to digest. You may then disconnect from the 'Net.

Since they are imperfect machines running imperfect software, the Stanford servers are down from time to time. Typically, these outages are short, like less than an hour.

After you send data, it takes a short while for Stanford to update your stats in the database.

Was I close? :D

You're great, Bubba - I can be dense sometimes. When it happens, I need small words and short sentences.

Keep folding! :D

Performance isn't affected at all. I fold all the time regardless of what I am doing. Really I don't pay much attention to it at all because I never notice it running.

Back