• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IRQ Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matrix3412

Registered
Can anyone tell me how I can sort a problem out with two things using the same IRQ because my comp restarts/crashes all the time because of it... Ive tried re-installing windows xp over and over but this doesn't fix the problem... what else can I try?

Picture of IRQ List

Seeing from the pic that you have 22 IRQ's available, my guess would be that you have APIC enabled in the BIOS. You didn't mention which board you're using, but nevertheless...I would disable APIC and reinstall Windows with only ACPI enabled. APIC is known to cause problems of the nature you're describing, and in my experience after installing Windows with it enabled...it was a disaster to say the least. ;)

my motherboard is an asus a7n8x nforce2 (its not the deluxe version)
**EDIT also ment to say whats APIC and ACPI... thanks

New IRQ List

I disabled APIC in BIOS and then re-installed Win XP... my new irq list has a few things using the same IRQ and I don't think there supposed to be... so ive gone from 2 things using the same IRQ to about 5 or more things :(

NEW IRQ LIST

Doesn't look like anything wrong with that one. My system has about the same number of devices asigned to IRQ 5 and 11 and multiple devices on 9 also.

This system is stable as can be as well. It's gone weeks without a reboot and has yet to crash on me. Only difference is I have ACPI disabled as well. My USB controller is on 9 where your ACPI is.

Thanks for your help then :) and hopefully I won't get the annoying IRQ errors all the time... Just incase I do, how do I disable the ACPI aswell?

It's been a while, but I thought I disabled mine in the BIOS. But I am using a VIA board so I am not sure what options yours has pertaining to it.

bad news :( I just got another IRQ error... do you think my ram could be faulty or maybe something up with my windows xp cd?

Back