• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does the "686 bug" affect the cr-roms too?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fiz

I ask because whenever I try to install something from my cd-rom(Quake3 etc) it will lock up about half the time. If I use the cd-rom I have in the raid slot it works fine. I am using DMA on the cd-roms but all I have read is that hdd's are affected by this bug when using DMA. I don't have any hdd's on my secondary IDE, only on the primary(2 of them). The secondary is where I keep my cd-writer and cd-rom, I have my dvd-rom on the raid IDE(I don't use the raid, I just wanted the extra IDE slots :) ) Thanks for any info.

Fiz

I had to disable dma in windows and set pio mode 4 for my cd's on the normal IDE controllers to keep my system from locking up when using the cd's. So in my case yes it affected my cd drives, sounds like it may be effecting yours too, if you are getting lock ups when installing from the cd.

Back