• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you adjust the pots in Antec 430W TruePower PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rivercom9

Hi everyone. Well, I recently go my new Antec PSU, and the 12V and 5V lines are a bit too low. Ive heard of people adjusting their pots to regulate more voltage, but alas, that is my problem, I dont know how to do it or what the thing even looks like. Thanks for any help.

It looks like a plastic philips head screw. You only turn it a Tiny bit at a time. Then check it. The only accurate way to test is with a multimeter. If you think it's low cause of a software program then wait til you can test it properly, it may be fine.

Well for one, opening up the psu will ruin the 3 year warrenty for sure. But i would go out and buy a multimeter i think you can find one for around 15 bucks and then you can see if the software is reporting correctly or not. You might want to check your motherboard/psu atx 20 pin end connectors for any oxidation or gunk that may interfere with your power and that may help a tiny bit. The antec truepower psu's dont have pots from what i have read so ruining the warrenty and not being able to fix it all at the same time wouldn't be a great thing to do. What kind of voltages are you seeing? What kind of motherboard/cpu/overclock etc are you running? Any or all of those can help give clues as to whats happening.

Sorry for not just looking down at your sig. Hmm, mbm5 can be off or atleast the motherboard voltage sensors it reads them from can be off alot. I have had mbm5 readings of my 5v at 4.8v and my 12v at 11.7 or so and get a multimeter to measure every molex lead and also measure the 20 pin atx connector and fine the psu is putting out dead on 5v and dead on if not a tiny bit over 12v on the 12v rail also. Possibly some of your surface mount voltage regulators and such on your motherboard are getting to hot? I have seen that lower cfm around the cpu area because of watercooling can cause voltage regulators ,caps etc to overheat and cause a voltage drop. Maybe feel around, ofcoarse ground yourself, and see if anything like that is hot. You could cut up tiny pentium heatsinks and stick them on with your favorite thermal adhesive. Sometimes that is enough and you can gain 0.1~0.2v if not a bit more depending on what rail it is on as i have seen. Hopefully that is enough, maybe see how hot your north bridge chipset is? as that can help warm up components around it. Hope this helps out, there are other things you could do like connect the 5v or 12v to 5v converters to your mobo but i havnt used those and i havnt worked with that ...yet but i figure you know what i am talking about so just do a search on google or in this forum.

TruePower does not have Pots.

Check with a multimeter BIOS/MBM readings are typically off.

AntecRep

My Abit KX7333R reads the 5V rail off by at least 0.10Volts. it uses the Winbond reader, any idea what chip reads your Volts and temps on the Epox?. it'll probably be out as well cause it's usualy at the bottom left hand corner of the mobo, so it looses some accuracy because of the long traces. you can't beat doing a multi~metre check. MBM5 read 4.81 but MMetre read 4.94 at the mosfets...

Just got a new Antec TP 550 today. the 5V rail reads 4.89 and 12V reads 11.70. that would put the 5V dead on I think. the 12V rail is'nt important cause it only powers fans and drive motors. as long as the +5V and +3.5V are good you're OK :) ...

PS. What drivers are you using for your Ti500?. I use the 40.52's and get 9900+ points with my Ti500 (@250/560) and XP1800+ running at 1750@166FSB. these drivers really made a difference, I was hitting 7500points with the 29.42's!!. the new VIA Hyperions helped as well ;) ...

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have just recently setup a system with a Antec True Power 380 psu (sys secs below), it seems quite noisy to me although low volume music/tv drowns it out quite easily its too noisy to leave on at night. Now I know Antec Rep isnt likely to reply but prehaps he might but could others point me to any info on swapping the fans for some quiter ones, specifically details about whats in there in terms of cf/m.

Prehaps Antec Rep would tell me if @ 1400rpm the monitored fan in my psu is operating at the lowest setting (ie low load) or is that soem where up the fan speed curve that I rpeusme is implemetated.

Any suggestions for repalcement fans and how I need to join them in (headers/crimp/solder) woudl greatly be apreciated.

Thanks

Jaime

AntecRep, you've mentioned that Antec PSUs with low voltages may go up in voltage slightly after being used for a few days, but could you explain why this happens? I asked some electronics people about this, and they said that voltage doesn't drift to any significant degree in regulated PSUs, except from temperature changes or when electrolytic capacitors go bad or have been unused for a very long time.

jaimemitch said:
...tell me if @ 1400rpm the monitored fan in my psu is operating at the lowest setting (ie low load) or is that soem where up the fan speed curve that I rpeusme is implemetated.

Any suggestions for repalcement fans and how I need to join them in (headers/crimp/solder) woudl greatly be apreciated.

Thanks

Jaime

My True430 reports speeds from as low as 1300 some odd (not too common in my AMD dually) to a dash over 1600, if I recall correctly. Frequently it hangs out at 1560 rpm, though who knows which fan that is. I can't even tell how much noise the PS is making, but then again, I have an AMD dually with the side of the case off...

The Forum's own donny_paycheck replaced the fans in an Antec TruePower, and cleverly wrote an article about the process.
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1033/

well, here's my 2cents.
my 430 true power psu is dying and the voltages are jumping all over the place. my north bridge fan is speeding up and slowing down, along with my cpu hsf combo.
SO IF ANYONE READS THIS... DO NOT OPEN UP YOUR 430W ANTEC TRUE POWER PSU (like i did last year) TO TRY AND ADJUST THE POTS! IN DOING SO YOU WILL VOID THE WARRANTY ONLY TO FIND IT HAS NO POTS AND THAT IT ADJUSTS ITSELF ACCORDING TO THE POWER IT NEEDS "ON THE FLY."

now all i need to do is find out what kind of psu to replace mine with.

:mad:

no, i didn't do anything to cause it to start failing when i opened it up last year... i just did that because i noticed that in my windbond hardware monitor software the voltage was low in the 5 and 12 and i thought i could adjust it by tuning the pots a bit. so i opened it up and found there were none! i was like @#$@#%@%@#%@#% lol! instant voided warranty.
the reason my psu is dying is... i don't know why, but i can tell it's about to take a dump. everything is speeding up and slowing down and my windbond software shows the fan speed rising and falling along with power to those specific parts. i'm starting to get worried and that's why i'm on here looking for an alternative to the 430 w antec true power psu.
if i don't get the kingwin or allied foxcon psu i'm looking at, i'll get an antec 550 watt true power psu as i'm going to be upgrading and might need even more power in the future.

ps don't let this post scare you away from antec true power psu's.. they kick ***, and they may just be the best brand period. definatly don't go with enermax.
also, i'm just really tough on all my components. so it's not any big surprise that something is failing... i don't really blame antec at all.

Typically Truepower fans are around 1500rpm. If the PSU sensor reads between 40-45C it'll ramp up the fan speed.

The 'burn-in' was for the first batch from the factory. We've long since corrected that. Most of the low voltage posts I see nowadays are people who aren't checking with a multimeter and are relying on their motherboard. Most times when they check with a multimeter the readings are fine.

AntecRep

Back