• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q-Tec... Any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blueacid

Time for a better power supply...

I am considering either a Q-Tec 550watt PSU, which costs £23
Or, an Enermax 350watt (£43).

Several things:

If I get a PSU with the AUX and PIV connectors, (I'm considering the duallie road, but not right now), will it work with just the ATX power connector in use?

Also, will the Q-Tec be any good? I mean, will it go all the way to 550w, or will it crap out at 150watts? Anyone got any views?

If anyone wants to make a humble suggestion, pick a different one and tell me...

My budget is £45 (Abs MAX! - Prefer cheaper...)

Currently, I'm running a T-Bird (old granddaddy) @1.3 (stock), but I know that it can do 1.45, but system was unstable due to power problems (I know it was power, since if I tried to use the CD drives, the computer would restart when it tried to spin them up)

Cheers for the help! (BTW - I live in the UK - so please don't point me in the direction of Newegg :D)

Q-tec has low amps on the 12v rail and is quite noisy. I have a friend who bought a 550W q-tec and he prefers his chieftec 300W instead of that one. If I were you I'd go for the enermax or an antec truepower.

I'm sure there's more than one reason the lower powered Enermax is more money. I'd go with that. It's still plenty of power, maybe more.

It doesn't exactly look impressive on the inside:

www.bit-tech.net/images/review/123/7.jpg

I'm not referring to the small heatsinks (Seasonics and HECs have small ones but are considered quality) but to the small transformer on the left. It looks about the same size as the one in my 300W Antec SP (good PSU) and Maxpower (cheap PSU).

Back