• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My New System - Running Too Hot???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anton

Hello,
I just built my first system. I used the CPU, HSF, one hard drive, network card, and DVD drive from an HP Pavilion 7940 so actually it was like an upgrade. This is what I have:

ATX Tower Case, 350W PSU
DVD Drive
Pentium 3 1ghz, socket 370
A cheap HSF that came on a HP pavilion
80GB Western Digital 8mb HD.
40GB Seagate
265MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
ASUS CUV-266 motherboard
GeForce 4 MX 440 PCI video card (old system had no AGP).
Cheap 6ch sound card

The HSF from the HP isn't the best - it makes a lot of irregular noises. I haven't bought a new one yet because I will be buying a good HSF, a LED Case fan, and some cold cathode lights on ebay all at once to save shipping. So right now I only have the CPU fan which seems to run at 5000 rpm most of the time.
I don't know much about what the normal temps are so I'm asking here.

This is a screenshot of ASUS probe software that comes with the motherboard.
probe.jpg

And this is my nice new system that isn't performing as much as I was hoping it would :mad:
2003_0125_222804aa.jpg

I did these upgrades to make Urban Terror more playable. I am using my PCI Geforce 4 MX 440 card right now till I get an AGP card. Urban Terror ran better on the HP with this card (the HP has no AGP slot) even though it uses poor quality hard ware.

I borrowed a Geforce 4 MX 440 AGP card today for a few minutes. I get good FPS even at 1280x1024 high quality. But if I go over anything over 1024x786 low quality, and move fast, like turn around fast, it gets all choppy and drops down to 10< fps. It seems to be much worse in multiplayer than single player, and even worse when more players are in the screen. So what is the problem? CPU? Ram? My cousin playes the game with this card at 1280x1024 high quality, never goes under 60fps. He has 512mb DDR and a XP 1600.

Are these Pentium 3 1Ghz CPUs very overclockable when cooled properly? I am tempted to ditch the whole Intel setup and go with AMD so I can play my game.

Is it better to leave the side panel with the window on or off to cool it down the most? These temps were taken after browsing web pages and listening to some music - no games.

By the way, I couldn't run any 3dmark benchmarks because I can't install 3dmark for some reason.
Any help would be great.

Your cousin can play the game faster because he has a faster computer. The XP1600+ is a lot faster than a P3 1ghz. Plus he has more memory.
From what I've heard, you should leave the side panel on because it will disrupt airflow if you have it off. If you have any airflow, that is.

What kind of video card does your cousin have?

He has an MSI Geforce 4 MX 440 AGP card. It is the card I borrowed today for a few minutes to see the difference.

Asus isn't very good at reporting accurate temps so I wouldn't rely on it if I were you.

I went from 43C full load on my old Soyo board to 52C full load on my Asus board. Nothing changed except my motherboard.

Back