• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Compression for video/audio

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazerin

These guys have come up with a Direct X compression that can make a movie or demo which used to be 30MB's into 64KB file with no loss of quality or sound !

A demo is a program that displays a sound, music, and light show, usually in 3D. Demos are very fun to watch, because they seemingly do things that aren't possible on the machine they were programmed on.
Essentially, demos "show off". They do so in usually one, two, or all three of three methods:

They show off the computer's hardware abilities (3D objects, multi-channel sound, etc.)
They show off the creative abilities of the demo group (artists, musicians)
They show off the programmer's abilities (fast 3D shaded polygons, complex motion, etc.)
Demos are an art form. They blend mathematics, programming skill, and creativity into something incredible to watch and listen to.

The soundtrack is very stylish; the transitions from one effect to the other are smoothly done.

When you run them it is hard to believe that they are so small !

All the movies are available here

My opinion: This isn't a new type of compression, it is just a mini program that spits out the codes for your system to draw the 'movie' in real time. Still, it is pretty neat to see 64kb files that last for so long.

lol, are those songs available in better sound on mp3?
some of those songs are decent

EDIT: OMFG!!! I just say the third file (it was a vid) WOW< it's like a 5 minute vid with music on a 64 kb file!!!

I know there's a good reaso, but why can't you do something like that for vids like with people (like movies)

Last edited:
Very impressive for 64KB! I think that the music they use is some kind of specialized MIDI based on how it sounds. It sounds a little better than some of the best MIDIs I've heard, so that's why I'm leaning to it. Though the instrument set is impressive, so that's why I'm thinking specialized somehow.

As for the video, I love it! Don't know exactly how they managed to fit it and the audio all into 64KB, but it's simply amazing.

JigPu

JigPu said:
Very impressive for 64KB! I think that the music they use is some kind of specialized MIDI based on how it sounds. It sounds a little better than some of the best MIDIs I've heard, so that's why I'm leaning to it. Though the instrument set is impressive, so that's why I'm thinking specialized somehow.

As for the video, I love it! Don't know exactly how they managed to fit it and the audio all into 64KB, but it's simply amazing.

JigPu

I mean, this isn't just vector graphics...so I'm still wondering if they can do this, then can they crank ut better cmpression then DivX for movies?

If its, 64Kb for 5mins.....then for a 3hour film, it would be 2304kb!

You could have all the frodo baggins you can handle on a 2mb file!

Nice. Just when you thought the floppy drive was obsolete... I mean, imagine showing up at a buddy's house with a movie: "Hey, wheres the movie?" And you whip out a 3.5 inch diskette.

Haven't anyone of you seen the old Amiga demos from back before the Dos days? :D

Thier just pure assembly programming used to demo the creators programming talents. The music is generally a type of mod file that uses samples with a midi like track playback. And the "vid" is all real time created display of whatever thier showing off.

Gawd, I feel so old! :p

Btw, its nice to see the demo scene making some Windoze demos. I remember back when most of them quit because of the way that Win95 restricted the way hardware was accessed. They stuck to DOS and Linux for a long time and this is the first Windoze demo I've seen.

Last edited:
n17ikh said:
This has already been posted here:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=213982

But yes, this is very cool... :D

I think someone in the other thread said about the audio, that since all audio is just a squiggly line, find the function for that line and you have the whole audio, from one equation. I have no idea about the vidoe though... :D

Hehe, I think you meant to post that in the other thread :D

Back