• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any way to degauss a monitor without degauss button

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nealric

I just set up a old monitor to use as my second. It seems like it needs degaussing (its blurry). However, there is no degauss button. Is there still a way to degauss it with software or something, or does that mean it just dosent have one and the monitor is toast?

TV Repair shops (if they still exist) or computer repair shop may have a degausing wand or gun which essentially induce a magnetic field over the surface of the monitor. You could try it yourself with a strong magnet but may end up making it look worse.

No, a normal magnet would not work. The principle behine a degausing ring / wand is to induce a strong constantly changing magnetic field into the device and then slowly decrease it's strength (usually by moving the degausser a large distance away) until it reaches zero at which time your monitor will have no trace of magnetism left on it.

Check out a TV shop and see if they have something, or you could make a degaussing ring for yourself if you're brave enough to make an electromagnet that you plug into the wall :eek:

JigPu

hmm- probably not.
Maybe I could hold it up to a different monitor while it degauses? :D - just a thought.

Is there anything else that can cause bluryness that i could actually fix myself?

EDIT: I found the problem- its sitting on top of my minifrige which gets really hot- i turned it off and let it cool down and the blurryness went away.

Last edited:
Back