• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broke a pin on my P4 Northy, but chip is not affected????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zero470

Registered
I Dropped my chip while removing it from the my board today and bent several pins . I was able to straighten all of them successfully except one, which completely broke off in the process. I thought for sure that I had just killed my 1.6A that will do 2.86 :( . But to my surprise, i put the chip back into my system and she booted right up, :) and so far I have yet to see that anything was affected. I was just wondering if this had happened to anyone else, and if anyone knows if there are actually certain pins on the P4's that are not used and are just dummy pins.

You are lucky it still works

I bet it was a dummy pin, theres about 500+ pins on those things so I dont think there all used. 2.86 on a 1.6A is pretty insane and so is the Radeon 9700, Excellent card BTW if it works without those horizontal anolog waves when I used the regular VGA connector, DVI adaptor works great to get rid of it though.

BigPappaPump, there are 478 pins on a Northy ;)

Zero470, the P4 I'm running right now is missing two pins, and it still runs like a champ. *Shrug* No adverse effects here.

Almost half of the pins are for Vcc and GND (i.e. power). Lose one or two of those and you probably won't be seriously affected.

BigPappaPump said:
I must of been thinking about the Hammer cpus, I may not be exact but theres about 800 on those things

Some scarry pin counts are comming from AMD soon...
Socket 754 for ClawHammer
Socket 940 for SledgeHammer

Makes intels 603/604 for the Xeons seem like nothing compaired to sledgehammer

in the 478 chip there are alot of redundant ground pins, and some dummy/alingment pins for the most part if you lose one of these pins, your chip should work fine, but try not to loos any more.

you cna do that, and it usualy works, but look out if you pull of a - power connection and then the cpu is just dead weight. can you do it yes, but i would not recomend that you do it. i think the risk far outweigh the risk.

Dagamore

When I was opening a box for a 3.06 right when they came out at my work the plastic box slipped and the processor flew out onto my workbench bending about 7 pins .. I thought I was going to die and about 30 mins under a magnifying glass I was able to bend the pins back. I put it on the board and finished the system and it hadnt caused any damage.. just think if you had damaged a $700+ item that small with no warranty against that.. .ouch that hurts

I think Intel should change the packaging of their P4s. It relies on you to break a couple of fused plastic tabs by shear force. You have to pull on it and pull on it and sometimes the tabs break unexpectedly, jostling the P4. Once it broke open violently and the CPU hit the heatsink, bending some pins. There has to be a better way . . .

Broke 3 pins off my old celeron and worked fine. A little unstable but nothing major. Broke another pin a few weeks ago and now it's used as a paper weight.

I just opened my P-4 2.53 and it flew around the room but nothing broke. I never thought about the plastic package busting loose until it did. You are right about the packaging.

Back