• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

something else than ATI and NVIDIA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flixotide

Okay. I'm looking for something diferent than ATI and NVidia. Simply because I want to look for something else, no other reason.

The Parthelia doesn't sound too appealing though, but I used to be a Matrox fan in the beginning when Millenium busted the charts.

But if not ATI, Nvidia or Matros Parthelia, what else is out there, that might do a good job for reasonable money?

Whatever happened to the Kyro's, and what about S3 inc.? have they died?

Alternatives wanted.

Cheers, Flixotide

Diamond S3 died a looooong while ago. Kyro is kinda in the air on what might happen with them. 3Dlabs has been taken over by Creative. Nothing good could come from that. Their P10 is a no show too.

Well S3 does have another chip in te works. Go to their website and take a look. The P10 is being thrown at the workstation market, so you will have to pay for those certified drivers big time ($500+). The Matrox card can be dismissed completely for the price they want for it.

I guess that leaves the Xabre card until the S3 card gets released. BTW, the S3 card is suppose to retail in the 80-120 range and give high performance.....(how many times have we heard that)

Yeah.. I hear you. Loads of fancy spec-talk and no performance.

The Xabre looks very interesting though. But I still can't believe that the good old companies are all gone like that.

I want a new revelation.. somebody other than ATI and Nvidia to step out of the shadow again. *sigh* I'll be surfing around...

Thanks guys.

Flixotide

It is worth mentioning that the Xabre card doesn't have a 100% hardware T&L engine. Some of those calculations are handled by the host CPU. I've also heard the card has doesn't have the best image quality. Just go ready a bunch of reviews on the card though.

When anyone starts talking about the Xabre cards, the cards always get so much flak from the older ones. The new Xabre 600 has very impressive performance. It actually beats the R8500Le out in some benchies. It is also on the new die process that is much smaller (cant remember exact size but it is the same as GFFX) which will allow it to go at higher frequncies easier.

Speed is only half the equation my friend. If the image quailty looks like butt, who cares about speed. I'm not trying to dog the Xabre, because I truly believe SIS is on the right track. It is an amazing achievment for a company that doesn't focus only on graphics. I just think it needs alittle more seasoning.

Not at all. If I want to add good 3D gaming performance to a mid to low end machine, I would either be looking at the Xabre, Ati 8500LE, Ati 9100 or Ati 9000.

You guys forgot one other contender....the Trident XP! It's a DX 8.1 compliant video card with full HW T&L, DDR memory and all the rest. Supposed to get about 5000 3DMarks, which aint bad for a budget card!

I didn't forget about it, I just didn't mention it. The trident XP was talked about back in august of last your, but has been a no show.

**If** it comes out, there is a good chance it will be a day late and a dollar short........just like the GF FX :D

IMHO, the GPU market has become very much like the CPU market. If you want acceptable performance, there are really only two options. ATI or Nvidia. Everything else is starting to look like a VIA C3 in comparison.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. This is one of those cases where I really want to be wrong.

I picked up a Xabre 400 for pretty cheap. I think it's a better value than a 7500 or MX440 or lower. The image quality isn't phenomenal, but it's not too bad either.

mordy said:
What about Kyro2-SE ?
Unlike K-2 it has T&L , and AGPx4 ...

actually no, it has some T&L but is within the drivers, not hardware, i don´t know much how it works but it doesn´t have hardware support

The problem I found with looking outside of Nvidia or ATI is that even when looking at "budget" cards, you could usually do much better for the same dollors with something from the previous mentioned companies.

I always end up back at ATI or Nvidia's door step, even though I would be willing to try something else. The benchmarks and visual quaility forces me.

Back