• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which component causing lock up? P4PE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
See my sig for settings and parts that make up my rig.

Question: When I run SETI CLC and Serious Sam (game) at the same time, Serious Sam freezes up. The mouse moves wildly in a small pattern regardless of what I do with the real mouse. The video quality, while frozen is not degraded. Ctl-Alt-Del only causes 1 beep, and I have to press the power off button to get out of the lock up.

How do I figure out what part of the system is the weak area causing the lock up? Is there some logical way to narrow this down?

Is it:
The Ram Timings?
The Ram Voltage?
The CPU Voltage?
The FSB Speed?
The video card?

Only locks up when gaming AND running SETI at the same time. Prime 95 ran for 2 hours with no problems, SETI runs 24/7 with no problems.

I think 2 hours isnt enough time to test for full stability. I just ran prime95 and after about 3 hours my computer rebooted. That's not stable enough for me, I'm gonna keep tweaking and turning my overclock down if I have to until my pc can run it for at least 12 hours with breaking a sweat.

Well keep clocking down one part at a time, for example keep your ram settings the same and lower you fsb to something that you know for sure has to be stable and run prime95 overnight. If it still crashes then you know it wasnt the FSB so it was probably the ram or something. Keep testing that way till you figure it out.

My best guess would be turn your RAM down a bit first. You are at the 4:3 ratio, I would give it a go at the 5:4 ratio.

3200C2 is rated at 2-3-3-7@400 and you are running it at 2-3-3-5@445 which is quite a bit above spec.

Back