• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OpenGL / computer graphics site

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
Hi, All!

I'm taking a graduate-level computer graphics course this semester. ((As I don't have a formal background in computer science, I might be coming here for help a lot. I'm looking forward to future collaboration.))

One of the requirements was to make a small website. I made one here, which I'll be updating over the next few months. Anything else I should add there?

Thanks! :)

Oh hey, count me in i want to be part of those projests that you have there:)rolleyes: dont know if you would let me tho) .

Anyway, i know this 4th yr student, he has taken some graphics courses in 4th(arh i have to wait that long for them?). Hes graduating now. So i guess he can help you if you have question. Hes not in this forum tho. You can just PM me, then i forward to him. Yes i remember his first assignment was done using with OpenGL, then later he must code everything on his owns(engines). There one thing cool about the graphic lab tho, they dont use PC. THose computer are big and green, i asked a single one worth about 10,000CAND(not included the big screenies).

I was not supposed to be in there, but i got his card to wipe, LOL.
CAn'T wait to touch those baby!!!!:D
MameXP,

Hi, and thanks!

Well, you can't contribute to my actual assigned projects, but I may be looking for input & feedback on my "fun" projects, especially the contour plotter ... :)

That's quite the computer graphics equipment, btw! What type of machines were they? (As I SSH for most of my computing, I never get to see if the machines are green or not. ;)) As soon as I get some more debugging done, I'll get to go back to the origin supercomputers ... :D

Well, thanks for writing! Back to debugging for me ... -- Paul

MameXP said:
Oh hey, count me in i want to be part of those projests that you have there:)rolleyes: dont know if you would let me tho) .

Anyway, i know this 4th yr student, he has taken some graphics courses in 4th(arh i have to wait that long for them?). Hes graduating now. So i guess he can help you if you have question. Hes not in this forum tho. You can just PM me, then i forward to him. Yes i remember his first assignment was done using with OpenGL, then later he must code everything on his owns(engines). There one thing cool about the graphic lab tho, they dont use PC. THose computer are big and green, i asked a single one worth about 10,000CAND(not included the big screenies).

I was not supposed to be in there, but i got his card to wipe, LOL.
CAn'T wait to touch those baby!!!!:D
MameXP,

YES! I found what those babies are. Finally i met him again, so he told me :D

THose are SGI Octane/Oclane something but its said to be the best beast in graphic/video rendering market. (for better description, its look like a double tower case-more like a square box to me)

YES, they are damn expensive. I cant wait........ :drool:

Anyway, post for anyone interested to know LOL

MameXP,

Thanks for the post! Yes, SGI makes some power computers that can be powerful for render farms for example, as far as I understand it.

At the Minnesota Supercomputer Institute, we use SGI Origin 3800 computers for computational fluid mechanics, etc.

"The SGI Origin supercomputers consist of two 96-processor Origin 3800s, each with 500 MHz R14000 processors sharing 144 GB of memory, and a 12-processor Origin 2000 with 22 GB of memory. The Origin 2000 is for interactive use. Access to the Origin 3800s is through a queuing system."

I have yet to make heavy use of it, but I'm in it primarily for the large amount of available memory. Fun! :) -- Paul

144GB memory! OMG, i wish i have those in my system, then i can play Unreal 2 and host ALL multiplier games. hehhhe

I didnt know they are that good. Sadly, i'm not ready enough for those thing yet. :C

Thanks for telling me more about SGI. I will soon check the company out. I'm doing my first project now(I hate simulation :mad: ), kind of busy, all mid-term starts....hmm life goes on:rolleyes:

MameXP,

Hey, no problem. :) I'd sure love a boost from my current .5 GB here at home. I can only run my simulations at resolutions like 200 x 200, maybe 250 x 250 before I start paging the hdd. Can run 400 x 400 well on the 1.5 GB+ machines, but I'll need to figure out those origins before I can do much more.

(I'm not quite ready for them yet, either. I still don't know how to do shared memory and how to parallelize my routines.)

What types of simulations are you doing? Yeah, I hate how classes distract from learning. LOL.

Gotta' run! -- Paul

Back