• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here goes nothing!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neofate

Well, after about 4 days of constant research, and very hard to make decisions trying to stay within a budget, I have ordered pretty much everything for my new system to build.

This will be the first AMD system I have ever messed with. That was another big decision I had to make.

Here is a basic list of the components I chose to get based on the best bang for my buck!

Let me know what you think... Also with the setup, let me know how you think it will perform IE: with new games, benchmarks, and how much I could possibly overclock it.

Any recommendations will be a bit late on most things, but if you see some things to ADD in the future I would love to hear it.

Also any praises on any of the components that I have chosen are most welcome. ;)

System Components Being Delivered (Hopefully this week)

Motherboard --- [Epox 8RDA+ (Nforce2 Chipset)] **I was really torn between 3 motherboards. The Asus A7N8X Deluxe, the ABit NF7-S, and at the last moment this Epox 8RDA+. I found minor faults with the former two, and I generally don't like Asus's support. So that left me with Abit and Epox. The Epox was a bit cheaper (not much), and I had more recommendations to go that direction so I just stuck with it!

CPU -- [AMD Athlon XP 2100+ 1.73Ghz], **Note: I did manage to confirm a chip with the Thorough Bred B AIUHB Stepping of Week 48/49 :)

RAM -- [Samsung PC3200 DDR RAM ((Rated 400Mhz))] ** Purchased 2x256mb chips to take advantage of the dual mode. I was going for Corsair but after some complications with ordering I decided to save some money, and I heard Samsung wasn't THAT bad! Also I saved a good bit of money going this route, and taking into account I probably won't get passed a 200mhz FSB, the RAM speed should/hopefully run in synch at 400.

Case -- [Enermax CS-305-1L-B3A, Black] **Very common but "cool" case, in which I got the black version, that contains silver and plastic. Constructed of steel though. :( Anyhow it has a nice look, and some nice features.

HSF -- [ThermalRight Volcano version 9] **This includes the SK7 copper heatsink with a TT-Smart Fan - II I believe. *I wanted sufficient cooling, but not an overkill on noise* So this was rated at about 72 CFM in it's "normal mode", in which I believe I am not going to install the sensor inside the processor, but just leave it running 24/7 in high mode.

Thermal Paste -- [Artic Silver III] **This was recommended over and over, and from what I gather it is pretty much the best you can buy. Came with 1CC syringe worth, so I assume I will be using it on other modifications, sinks that I add later on?:rolleyes:

CD-ROM -- [Sony 52x Black CD-ROM] **I just wanted something that was halfway decent to get this running, and matched the case theme.

Floppy -- [Samsung 1.44, Black] **Once again, most all floppies of this caliber are the same, and if it breaks, oh well, I won't cry ;)

Case Fans -- [4x Thermaltake 80x80x25cm, Running at 2900RPM] **I believe these put out about 20-30 CFM, so I plan on arranging them around the case in the most efficient order. One on the roof to blow out, one in the front sucking in cool air towards the drives, another on the rear top blowing out hot air, and the last on the bottom rear drawing in "hopefully" cooler air. The case also comes with a decent built-in side fan blowing air across the motherboard. Any suggestions here?

Hard Drive -- [Maxtor 60GB 7200RPM EIDE 2mb Cache, Diamond Max Plus version 9, Average Seek 9ms, and ULTRA ATA 133] ** I heard of recommendations to go for the Western Digital drives that had the 8mb cache, however these "better" drives were significantly more expensive, so I chose these. I can always add better later.

Video Card -- [AGP 8X MSI GHTi4200-TD (8870-040) 128MB, DDR, TV-OUT, DVI VGA] **This was the hardest choice I had to make! I couldn't decide between forking out the extra bucks for a higher Titanium series, or even going to a Radeon 9500, 9500pro, or 9700, 9700pro! This card, from peoples responses, seems to have good luck with its overclocking ability, so I believe I can get this to run pretty close to the Ti4400's and possibly a little better with some mods.

Monitor -- [CTX International 19" CRT, VL950] **I chose this monitor because it is the same one I bought 4-5 years ago for 500 dollars, and it still looks better than most I see around today! It's a win win situation. Also it was at a very very good price. Only CON is that it is white :mad: , but I don't think that will make everything look too off. Whatcha think? It worth another 100 bucks for color?

Sound -- [Epox's + features On Board Sound] ** I have always despised integrated sound in the past, but after reading up on what this board's sound was capable of, I thought it best to just use it! Why not? It saves a PCI slot, and money? If it ever displeases me, it doesn't cost much to upgrade =)

--Another thing that I would like to add to the front of my case is one of those Fan Arrays (Is that the correct term?).. I would love to be able to have knobs (and digital readings) of the RMPS, and Temps if possible to adjust to give me more control, but MAINLY just for the 'cool factor'. (Edit, honest, the pun wasn't intended)

--The only things left to buy are the Keyboard, Mouse, and Speaker System... But I figure I can get these locally for a fairly good price and can get a better feel for them hands on.

Well, for all of this, after alot of fishing, I paid $988 Total! Thats with monitor, and everything I just listed. I personally think that isn't bad?

--Hopes for the system--

I hope I can manage to get the 2100XP with the "good" stepping to clock up to about 2.4Ghz, and hoping the RAM will be rock solid. Also I hope the video card will run all the new games well! I designed the system with a 1000dollar budget, and based it as best as I could on performance vs. stability. With a HIGH emphasis on the ability to overclock various things, eg. Video card, Ram, and Processor.

Does it seem likely to live up to my expectations? Is it a GOOD system for the buck? Did I do just mediocre, or is it about what you expected for the money?

I tried my best to get components that would use the motherboard to it's fullest. IE: 8X AGP, ATA 133 HD, and RAM that is rated at 400Mhz stock.

Please, any ideas, comments, or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks for reading!

Take care,

Watercool it in late April/early May. :D

That'll make for a very nice rig. Good job!

Benchmarks when assembled, please. ;)

B.

I think you have made sound choices, but I might be a little biased:)
Enjoy your new system and if you have any problems getting it up and running or questions about the Bios settings just shoot me a PM I'll be glad to help if I can. I have both an 8RDA+ and an 8RDA both run rock stable at 200 fsb. I love these boards:D
Also take MR. B's advice and try H2o cooling when you can afford it. It's well worth it if you plan on pushing that system to it's limits.
Good luck;)

Thankya Thankya!

I was hoping I would get approval. =)

Benchmarks are definite to come. By the way: For future reference, what all programs shall I be looking to download to test all of this equipment?

Links would be nice with a short description?

On another board I"m getting flack for not spending 60 more dollars on a WD 8mb cache HD. Sheesh. Also, they claim I should have shelled out 260 for an NEC black monitor vs my tried and true 200$ (free shipping) CTX VL950. I don't care what anyone says about this, the VL950 rocks!

I'm even gettting a bit of flack for not going to an ATI 9500'ish. I just don't trust the ATI's, and if I were going to get one it would be the 9700pro.

JMHO.

Thanks for replies, keep em coming!

I have to say, all those choices seem to be good, with nothing seeming below what I would concider a good or decent part.

koby said:
not to bad for an AMD :)

Umm, just wondering, is that a reference to Aliens..umm, whatever, I make vague (sp?) connections alot. Great movie though.

Back