• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3V line reading 1.57V in MBM???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chief_Wiggum

Registered
Hi all,

I have the famed Turbolink 420W power supply in my Antec 1040. Using MBM my +3V line reads +1.57V. I don't think that can be right (or if it is, I'm in big trouble:) ).

I've tried selection all the sensor options (there's only 2) with the same result. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Also, my +5V line drops to 4.60V under full load and I can't seem to take my OC any higher (prime95 fails). Do you think a better quality power supply might help me out?

Thanks for the input.

i have that exact same psu (cause i got the same case) and that psu is the biggest piece of junk i have ever seen (at least mine is) i am currently on my laptop because that psu has a short in it. hopefully my psu will get here today or i will be using this laptop for another day... i don't mind using my laptop, but i would love to be able to do stuff in half the time :) personally, i would be looking for a deal on a new psu eventually. that's just my take on the situation. btw, all of my voltages are off on mine... they're just all over the place... it sucks... that's all i can say... not exactly high in the reliability factor there...

Hmm, that's not good news. I guess I should've known better.

Well, amazon.com has a good deal on the Antec TruePowers. Maybe I'll look into getting one.

Thanks for the info.

MBM showed my 3.3 as that too, I just changed the sensor or something and its showing the correct one now. 1.57 isn't your voltage. I'll check what I did when I get home...

it's quite possible that could be your cpu voltage... mbm has a tendency to not get all the voltages selected correctly at first, but it gets most right from my experience... but really all the voltages for that psu aren't that great from what i can tell with the intel mobo monitor...

I went into the BIOS (duh) and the Health Monitor is showing 3.20V. That's not so good, but it's better than 1.56:D

Anyway, I goofed around with MBM some more, but can't seem to get it to display the right voltage.

Thanks for the help.

i know how you feel... i can't get MBM to display a couple of my voltages... i'm not too worried though :) i am sure they'll be okay with this new psu i got today...

on a side note, i bet that the people in the mail room must be thinking that i am a drug dealer cause i got 4 packages today :)

I live in NYC, and for me it's just easier and cheaper to buy online even if I have a BM store to go to. I get 2-3 packages a day. The doormen probably all laugh at me...

the 1.5 volts is for the agp, Seems to happen quite a bit with mbm and is sort of annoying. You could get a multimemter and test out the 5v~12v to see if mbm is reading the voltage right, alot of the times it goofs. If your 5v rail is at 4.6v you could also do a few other things like look at the atx power connectors for oxidation~corrosion etc and clean. Also if any of the pins are bent so they dont contact really well together. You could check out the motherboard voltage regulators and such to see if they are overheating, as those when overheated cause voltage drop. Thats just a few simple things that could help you out, I hope so atleast.

wildfrogman makes some VERY good points there- check 'em out!
If the 5v line at a molex is much different then it probably is your atx connector not making a good connection.

And many mobos do report the agp voltage where MBM seems to expect 3v.

Mine reads my memory voltage on another sensor too ;)

Interesting.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to have to check some things out. I checked the bios, and indeed, MBM is reporting the AGP voltage. Is there anyway I can force it to read the correct sensor? Or is this some board implementaion thing?

Thanks for the help all.

Mile

if u get a new psu, sparkle powers 400w is the best for the price no doubt.

Uhh, in order to see the 3.3v sensor for boards that show 1.5 which is actually showing the AGP voltage, you set the sensor to 8KHA whether or not you have an Epox board and I believe your -12v or -5v shows the 3.3v.

Yodums

Methinks it is the boards implementation-
in my case, I use mostly Epox 8KHA+ mobos and they even have a special setting for reading the sensor values.

I think MBM just shows all the POSSIBLE sensors, and chooses what it thinks the correct labels are; after that you need to verify which is which, and even calibrate it if needed (or zero it out.)

Although I am not an MBM expert;)

gingo said:
MBM showed my 3.3 as that too, I just changed the sensor or something and its showing the correct one now. 1.57 isn't your voltage. I'll check what I did when I get home...

hey gingo, i saw u got the 8k5a2+, i have that board too and mbm 5 also says 3.3v is around 1.56v i dunno how to get it to display the correct voltage, i got the antec true blue 480w psu? how did u resolve it?
thanx in advance

dazza05 said:

hey gingo, i saw u got the 8k5a2+, i have that board too and mbm 5 also says 3.3v is around 1.56v i dunno how to get it to display the correct voltage, i got the antec true blue 480w psu? how did u resolve it?
thanx in advance

Same board here as well. I have the Turbolink PSU and was getting 1.56 readings on the +3.3 MBM Sensor as well. I went into the voltage configuration of the MBM settings and changed it from W83697HF Standard 1 to the following and got the following readings:

W83697HF Standard 2 - 3.15
W83697HF Standard 3 - 1.55
W83697HF Standard 4 - 3.15
W83697HF Standard 5 - 0.00 (Zero on +12 & +5 as well.)

Looks like I am going wih Standard 2 from now on.

**EDIT - By the way, my Turbolink 420w is not that bad. I am getting 4.89 to 4.92 +5.0 and 12.21 to 12.23 +12.0 readings. Not bad for a PSU that came with a $70 case. It runs 24/7 as well.

ahh thanks orion :)
i changed it to W83697HF Standard 2 and i now get these readings:
core 0: 1.96 (this is vcore as mine is 1.95)
core 1: 1.55 (i think that is agp)
+5.5v: 4.97 - 5
+3.3v: 3.30 - 3.31
-5v: 0v is this correct?
-12v jumps around quite a bit, average says its -2.07

Just thought I'd let people know...

I'm using MBM 5.2.0.0 and I originally tried to change the "Voltage Configuration" pull down under the "Voltages" section from "W83697HF" to "W38697HF EPoX EP8KHA" (I have the Ep8k5a2+) which did nothing. But magically (after a reboot) changing this setting fixes the problem. Go figure.

Anyway, thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction.

Mike

Back